Hi, The love of my life and I are in a Fight

Mikee

that WE can win. Char was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma and also had a Malignant Plural Effusion drained twice now. The surgeon went in on Thursday and did a talc treatment and it has worked to this point. She will have an ex-ray this evening and her chest tube removed tomorrow Monday the 6th. The oncologist has set up a PET scan for tomorrow. We will know more after that. I am glad to have a place like this to come to. I have so many questions and very few answers. Thanks!

Mikee If you look at the top of the page you should see a profile button. Click on this to start an in depth profile of yourelves and The Treatment and all the details. Welcome to a group no one wants to join, but is usually glad they did. This is not a single effort but a group fight. the more we know the more we can help.

Click on My Profile at the top of the screen, scroll down to Signature, and enter/update your information. Scroll down further, make sure Always attach my signature is marked Yes, then click Submit at the very bottom.

I'm in your corner, Mike. Follow Randy's instructions for the profile.......you will be amazed at the folks here are such EXPERTS on this disease. That profile will enable all of us to offer the BEST advice and expertise for YOU specificlly.

Welcome and let us accompany you on this ride of your life. We all need each other here!!!!

Kasey

Hi, Mikee, welcome to the LCSC! You've come to the right place for support as well as solid, first-hand information from patients and family members who are in the same fight as you.

I see Randy has already given you instructions for creating and updating a diagnosis/treatment/response profile on behalf of your wife. Not only will that help us provide more specific answers to your questions, it will also save you LOTS of time whenever you have a question or comment. No need to give background every time you post -- just plunge into the subject at hand.

Congratulations to you and Char on your positive, proactive attitude. It really does make a difference, sometimes a critical difference. The mind-body connection is no longer "just" a primarily religious or metaphysical concept -- it's rapidly gaining a secure place in mainstream medical practice as well.

Cedar Park! On Google Maps it seems to be about the same size as my old hometown of West, just north of Waco on Interstate 35. I went to college in Denton, way back when the school was called North Texas State College. But after my Air Force years I settled in Hawaii and have lived here since 1972.

Again welcome, and Aloha,

Ned

Char and I are happy to have all of you in our corner. I have compiled a rough profile to display and will continue to update as time goes by. Recce, I was stationed in Hawaii back in 74-77 Schofield Barracks. Thank you all for the words of encouragement and I will try my best to update our profile as we progress.

Mike--welcome. Your positive attitude will do as much for you both as the best medicine for your wife. if fact, your attitudes will be the best ally for that medicine.

One more excellent resouce is www.onctalk.com.

It is maintained by Dr. West, an oncologist in Seattle who specializes in LC and you will find much good information about different treatment options. If you register, he will also answer your questions. He is good about looking in on us here too.

Susan

Sorry you have to be here, but I am glad you found us. You'll find a LOT of comfort and support here.

We totally understand your fears and your fight for both you and your wife.

Staying positive is half the battle. My best wishes to your wonderful wife. I am a 12 year lung cancer survivor. She can be too! :wink:

Mikee,

Welcome to the site. It sounds like Char has a cancer similar to my own. I had good results from chemo. Had almost 2 years being cancer free and now have a couple of small spots. I have started chemo again and everything is going well. You can live very well with cancer. I will pray that Char has good results with her treatment too. You sound like that you both have a good attitude. That is part of what it takes to win.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Again thank you all for the welcome and our hearts also go out to all of you that are in the same boat as we are.

Char is home and doing OK. We however are awaiting a call from our oncologist team to schedule our PET scan and Chemo treatment. It has been 1 week since the diagnosis and we are becoming a little impatient.

Mike all of us understand the frustration and stress we put ourselves through while we are playing the hurry up and WAIT game. Once the treatments plan is in place and gets started you will probably relax a little because something will be decided and be taking place. I don't want to give you anything to worry about in advance but the next step that I had trouble with was when my chemo and radiation treatments were done and I had a few months before my first scan. My thought ran wild for a couple of weeks before I accepted that I had no control over it and must turn it over and turn my mind off as far as the cancer was concerned. Keep us posted on the progress. Judy

"Mikee" ...It has been 1 week since the diagnosis and we are becoming a little impatient.

I know, patience is not my strong suit either. But if you compare your (Char's) chronology to the others here, I think you'll agree that what you folks and your medical team have accomplished in just over a week is nothing short of amazing.

There are some very good reasons for a short break at this point. On a PET scan, active cancer sites are not the only things that "light up" -- areas of inflammation do too, and I'll bet there are plenty of those right now. By the 14th, enough of that chaff might be off the radar to give the radiologist a decent chance of determining what is possibly cancer and what probably isn't. A few days' delay will also enable Char to build up more strength before the start of chemo. The better her condition at the beginning of treatment, the better she'll be able to tolerate the chemo without needing a treatment break somewhere down the line, and the better her response is likely to be.

With lots of Aloha from Central Oahu, just a few miles south of Schofield,

Ned

Thanks Ned and all here. I guess we are just now catching our breath. I can see there will be highs and lows as we go through this process. We are working on a list for Char's diet and have acquired several ingredients to help fight the effects of Chemo. This site has been a tremendous help emotionally and informatively. We will document our experience here as well and just hope it will benefit others. Thanks and stay Positive!!

Hi and welcome here.

According to your husbands profile, he really has been through so much for only a couple of weeks.

Let's wait and see what his PET scan shows. Meanwhile try to relax ( easier said then done). Pleas no that LC is not a death sentence as there are so many treatments out there. If one does not work they will try another.

Please know are always here for you if you have questions, need support, prayers or just need to vent.

I know how hard this is for you being a caregiver as so many of us have walked in your shoes. But you are not alone. We are here for you.

Thanks for providing the profile, now we understand what he is going through. Keep that positive attitude an we will be fighting right along with you.

Keep us informed.

Maryanne