New Diagnosis for Mom

mary757

My mother was diagnosed on Tuesday 7/31 with small cell lung cancer. The oncologist staged it as II or III. She has a 4.77 cm mass on upper right lobe and bronchoscopy 10 days ago shows adenocarcinoma and squamous cells. Radiation treatment starts tomorrow and continues for 7 weeks daily. Concern is the coughing up of blood that precipitated the hospital stay.

A complicating factor is she has also been diagnosed with mycobacterial avium intercellularae (MAI). She is on 3 antibiotics since last Friday and does say she is feeling a bit better.

The chain of events - Late April 07 Mom to GP (MY doc) to check out wrist swelling. Get hand surgeon referral. May 07 see hand surgeon, suspects carpal tunnel, after nerve tests dx is confirmed. Schedule surgery for 6/19. 6/1 go to GP to get cleared for surgery, requests ekg, chest xray, bloodwork etc. 6/11 final clearance for surgery. Chest xray abnormal, CT scan 6/12, still abnormal so GP cancels surgery and schedules pulmonologist on 6/15. Pul requests PFD and PET scan for the following week. Not sure of dx but discusses silicosis and mesothelioma. PFD comes out better than he thought, PET scan is showing hot area of tumor in right upper lobe, nodules in both right and left lower lobes, and adrenals on right. Pul wants bronchoscopy so sched simultaneous w/carpal surg for 7/10. Pul is sick so only carpal surg done on 7/10. Pul calls to resched for 6/26 but mom is coughing up blood by 6/24. Admit to hospital for emer bronch and here we are.

She has deteriorated very quickly in just 6 weeks or so. Can't make it to the end of the drive without catching her breath. So I'm moving back home for a period of time. We're on the cancer rollercoaster so I'm hanging on for dear life.

I am so very sorry that you find yourself on this awful cancer rollercoaster with your mother. Most of us here have been on it and we know how you feel. I couged up blood and that is what sent me to the doctor to begin with. Later I was diagnosed with stage 3A lung cancer and the rollercoaster ride began with its dips and turns and spins and highs and lows and more lows. Long story short my treatments allowed me to have surgery and that was two years ago and I have been in remission since. So please stay positive. My prayers are with you and your mother.

Carol

Hi Mary amd welcome to the site. I am sorry to hear about your mom, but you have found a great place for comfort, support and help with the many questions you will have. There will be a great deal going on while the Oncs come up with a plan for treating your mom. Please read some of the stories and "signature's" on this site. They gave me a great deal of hope. Shelley

Very sorry that you had to find us, but welcome, nevertheless. One thing I noticed and wanted to clarify was whether your mom was diagnosed with small cell or non-small cell lung cancer. Your post references adenocarcinoma and sqaumous cells as well as a stage II or III staging, all of which are part of the non-small cell lung cancer lexicon---and distinct from the small cell cancer vocabulary. For instance small cell cancer only has two stages: "limited" and "extensive" with no numbering of the sort used in non-small cell variety lung cancers (I thru IV).

Based on that, my guess is that your mom is probably dealing with Non-small cell cancer (abbreviated NSCLC)and not small cell lung cancer.

Definitely not trying to be pedantic, just want to make sure your research etc. gets off on a proper footing.

Best and please keep us posted.

Thanks to all: Adrian you may be right - the doc's may have mixed up the lexicon or I may have heard it wrong. I'll confirm since the information that I have shows both - the doc's text references the small cell yet the pathology references the other words and a lot of other words as well. Radiation started yesterday so we will see how that goes.

Many thanks - Mary

Welcome Mary!!! I had the same concerns as Adrian as to whether you are dealing with small cell or non-small cell. Be sure to check things out thoroughly before expending too much time in researching. And always remember..........second opinions can be invaluable.

Kasey

We have finished week 1 of radiation, yea! I was able to speak with the doctor to get clarification on what was going on. Mom has non-small cell lung cancer that is acting like small cell lung cancer and that is the confusion. It is growing very quickly but the pathology shows that it should not grow so fast. It appears to have spread but they are trying to treat the largest tumor first to stop the coughing up of blood. They will then re-evaluate what it is she has. As always Mom is breaking all of the rules :wink: