anyone else unable to get their SO to get medical attention?

Hello everyone

I am new here and looking for information -- thank you for having me.

I have a post in the introductions section with my whole situation, but basically my

husband is a heavy smoker (18 years, prob 2 packs a day unfiltered) and drinker with a family history of lung cancer (uncle died in his 30s) experiencing: chronic deep but unproductive cough, chest pain when he exerts himself, even laughing, (as well as pain under lower ribs), neck and shoulder pain, fatigue, weight loss (about 15 pounds over last 3 mo), lump behind ear, faint spider veins on cheek, swollen area around spine, and possibly a little swollen in the face as well.

He is severly depressed and refuses to see a doctor. He is only 34. Is anyone in a similar situation that could offer advice, either on these symptoms or on the issue of trying to get someone who is unwilling into see a doctor? :(

It would be impossible for anyone of us to try and dx.s your dear husband with an illness over the internet.

If he is in such serious depression as you say, you can talk to a doctor and tell them that your husband may be a risk factor for suicide. That I know of, in our state you may even call the police and tell them that. This way your husband WILL get ALL the medical and emotional attention he may very well need. The police can pick him up and that will allow you to get the ball rolling.

Good luck.

Thanks Connie B.

He has been committed before and the results were disasterous...I cannot call the cops on him and have that happen again, BUT his dr. does know he has a history of multiple suicide attemps, so I think you are right and I need to call and work with her to get him into a medical doctor...

Thanks again for your input

Pearl

Hello Pearl

I wish I could add something here but I just don't know what to offer. I think the idea of consulting with his doctor is the best way to at least begin. Hopefully that will lead to him getting the medical attention he needs.

I will keep you in my prayers and please keep us posted on how things are going.

Christine

Hi Christine!

I have to say I have a dog that looked just like your avatar as a puppy!! Our dogs are the only things that seem to make my husband happy actually... we have 3, and cats as well.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for the thoughts and prayers - I will do the same for you - thank you...

pearl

Hi Pearl

My avatar is my new "baby", DeLyla Hope. She is a purebred miniature dachshund and will be joining my family in 11 days.

I am glad you have the pets, they DO make such a huge difference in our lives. I am so glad to hear that the dogs are a positive force for your husband. He needs that now as I am sure you are more than well aware of.

Just keep being supportive and gently persuasive with him, remind him how much your life together means and maybe he will begin to think about things and get a little more rational about his health care. I will continue to pray for you both and please do not hesistate to PM me if I can do anything more.

Hugs to you,

Christine

Christine

She is SO CUTE - our littlest baby is a dobie/hound mix - he was abused as a puppy and came to us missing one of his little eyes - and YET he is SO SWEET and even gives forced hugs when one of us is upset - yes, IT IS HUGE! Especially when there is no other family...

Hugs to you and the baby too --