The End is Near for my Step-Father

Guest shannygirl

Guest shannygirl

My step-father is 45-years-old, and was diagnosed with lung cancer a little over a year ago. He went through chemotherapy, radiation, a couple of operations to remove brain tumors, and now the cancer has spread to his adrenal glands. The dr. gives him 2 months to live. He's chosen not to do anymore chemo as it would only give him another year, and he gets deathly ill from it. I have a couple of questions. First, is there anything any of you can think of that my Mom (his caregiver) needs to know? Is he going to suffer? I just want to make sure she's emotionally prepared to deal with whatever she may have to witness. Is there anything we can do to make his passing a positive experience? (If that's possible.) Also, his last wish is to see Judge Judy. He just loves her, but I don't know who I could call to get tickets or if she's even taping right now. My Mom wanted to take my step-dad to Italy before he passes, but they don't have the money. He told my Mom all he wants is to meet Judge Judy. My Mom works 40 hours a week, she has no clue where Judge Judy is at, and I think she's just so completely overwhelmed that she doesn't know if she's coming or going. Do any of you know of organizations like Make a Wish Foundation, but for terminally ill adults?

Thank you all for listening and for all the beautiful posts I know I'll get. I posted here when my step-dad first got sick, and all of you were so kind to me. Thank you again, and God bless.

http://www.judgejudy.com/home/home.asp

I'm so sorry for your family.

I don't know if the above address will help with your step-dad's wish, but maybe if you can find an email address, you could write to them and explain the situation. Sure wouldn't hurt to ask! (Maybe even use the "State your Case" area, just to get an email address...?) http://www.judgejudy.com/Forms/tellit.asp

Please know you're in my thoughts,

Nova

Also you may want to look inthe forum entitled The Path less Travelled for some comfort and advice on care at this point for your Step Father.

Don't believe the 2 months statistic. The doctors do not know that definitely. everyone is different. Try and focus on positive things and enjoy each others company and do what you can to keep step father Comfortable.

\Saying Prayers and let us know how we can help whenever yopu feel the need or just come and vent or whatever you feel the need to do here. We are always here to listen and help in any way that we can..

Guest shannygirl

I just wanted to thank all of you who responded to my post. I really appreciate it. Also, thanks so much for the heads up on the Dream Foundation. I sent the application to my Mom. Hopefully, they'll be able to make his dream come true. Thanks again to all of you for being so kind, loving, and supportive. I truly wish my Mom had the internet at home so she could speak with all of you. She's pretty much gone this alone, and I sometimes I don't know who I feel sadder for, her or my step-father.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers. God bless each of you, and thank you again!