Update on John

Ry

Hi Ry,

Sorry John has neen under the weather. I am sending prayers for a good report from the Bronc.

I know you will keep us posted. Darn I hate this when you start to feel like yourself and somehting comes along to mess it up. Hope he will be on the mend real soon.

Maryanne

The antibiotics have kicked in (or the steroids, or the prayers) and he is feeling better today. His cough however, is another story...what is with this cough?????? Thanks for the well wishes. We are taking our daughter out to dinner for her 16th birthday which is tomorrow. It does not seem possible.

Ry, I'm still recovering from my lung infection from early June, doc put me on advair this past Friday, I can tell some difference. I've taken mucinex for almost 2 months at my doctors request, sometimes I think thats why I cant get any relief from the cough. Hope John gets over it quicker then me. I'm so tired of coughing up gunk and spitting, had the neighbor ask me the other day if I had taken up chewing tobacco. HAHA, tell John our thoughts are with him.

Ry,

I hope your daugther's 16th birthday celebration turned out well. Thinking about you and John and sending prayers. Hope that cough has gotten better. Coughs can be caused by so many things and are soooo maddening for the patient as well as everyone trying to help the patient. It was Tussionex that helped Mike, but it's pretty potent stuff.

Keep us updated , Ry. We want to be here for you, John and your family.

Love,

Sue

16 already???? WOW, she is growing up right before our eyes! Where has the time gone? Happy Birthday!

I was sorry to see that John was knocked down again. But, I was praying for him to get back up and low and behold he's coming back up! :wink: Way to Go JOHN!!! Not easy to do, I know! It seems like every time we get knocked down it gets harder and harder to get back up, BUT with prayers and drugs, and the love of our family and friends we can do it. :D

I have dealt with a cough for the last 12 years. :roll: Some days are better then others and some days I don't even cough, but sometimes you would think I was trying to cough up my one and only lung. :shock: Radiation is all I can blame it on. The cardiologist told me from Mayo that radiation damage to the heart can cause a cough, along with SOB, fatigue,etc.. He also blamed radiation damage for a sever leak in my mitral valve. I just found this out a couple weeks ago. :roll:

My close friend Melanie who had small cell and is a 7 year lc survivor has a nasty cough and deals with fighting off colds and respit infections all the time. She has radiation damage to her one lung and they said it will always be this way for her. :roll: The cough is here to stay. But, she plugs along as I know John does.

GET MUCH BETTER REAL SOON JOHN!! Sending positive vibes and always ALWAYS your in my prayers.

Thanks for all your concern and well wishes for John. We have barely seen Caitlin since she turned 16 and got her driver's license. :roll: John is still dealing with his cough and has decided to go with the pulmonologist's suggestion of doing brachytherapy (Radioactive material sealed in needles, seeds, wires, or catheters, placed directly into or near the tumor. Also called internal radiation therapy or implant radiation) to help eliminate it. He has to stop the Avastin due to the bleeding risk during the procedure. Both the pulmonologist and the onc think this will help his cough. So we shall see-- I will let you know when it is set up. Wish us luck.

Ry,

Mike had brachytherapy, but I can't report on the outcome. His wasn't done until it was too late to help him, but the radiation oncologist talked with me about the procedure. What I do remember the radiation oncologist telling me is that when it works, it works very quickly and the results are near miraculous. I think Tina's husband Charlie had it done also. If I remember correctly, he had good results for quite a while with his.

Keep us informed and know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

And.... oh my a 16 year old with a driver's license... seems it was only yesterday that happened in my house. Another proud, but sometimes stressful event . Congrats to mom and dad.

You and John take care and keep us updated. We love you.

Love & Prayers,

Sue

H Ry, I hope the brachytherapy helps John's cough go away. I had an annoying cough for a few months before my last treatment. It seemed to subside afterwards, so hopefully my tumor is shrinking. It has come back a bit, but I think it is allergy related. I took codeine cough syrup for a while, but don't need it anymore. I have found that sucking on sugarless menthol cough drops helps a lot. I usually suck on one when I go to bed.

Don M

Rochelle,

Guess I should visit this forum more often. Am sorry to hear that John isn't feeling 100% but glad there is a plan in place. Keep us posted of course, and send my best to John.