Back in the saddle again!

-Cheryl-

Hello Folks,

I thought I would post just to update everyone on my recovery from surgery. I went back to work almost 2 weeks ago so I would not lose my job and insurance. I also walk a mile daily. My breathing is good, but I do have a tickle in my lung which makes me dry cough when I breath deep. Jack says that I don't do it at night when I sleep. The doctor says that it is normal given all the treatment I have been through, but that it should get better. My surgeon is very positive about my recovery. He and my onc don't think I need post chemo follow up. My pulmonologist said that I don't need to see him unless something comes up. I will go for a CAT scan on the 31st and my onc will read it that day at my appt.. I still have plenty of aches and pains from the surgery and am anemcic, but overall feeling good. I worry still about the supraclavicular node which showed some uptake during my first PET scan, but hope that the chemo took care of it. Makes me want chemo just as a precaution. Anyone have some kowledge of postop chemo and it's benefits, despite preopt chemo? My doctors think I have been through enough and need to heal. Hey, and I sure would hate to lose my dark, curley hair sprouting up! Did anyone elses hair come back different than their original hair? Plus, I heard that you may not lose your hair again with continued chemo- anyone experience this?

I am still mouring the loss of Apache, but I got another horse. She is also a Tennessee Walker and very gentle. I probably won't ride her for a while due to my surgery, but I am enjoying just grooming and getting to know her. She is very gentle. My 4 year old neice wants to ride my stallion. I told her "Honey, he is not broke yet." She then replied, "Well, why don't you fix him?" I tell you what I am about to get him fixed! Ha! He will not leave my new mare alone!

Take care my friends and God Bless,

Cheryl

Cheryl,

am so pleased that you are coming along great!

It is very confusing regarding whether to take treatment or not. One would think that there would be a list to go by regarding cancer treatments. It should say, if this occurs do this, or that. But each onc is their own person and handles treatments and surgery their own way. This blows my mind. I would rather they follow standard guidelines. Lung cancer has been around a very long time and so has chemo and radiation that they should by now compiled a listing. This thing about this dr doing it this way and another doing it that way does not give me a very trusting feeling with any cancer onc. I guess you will just have to go with your feelings.

I do believe that the body does need some rest time to....

Again, am so glad you are coming along great!

Glad to hear your good news, Cheryl! Yes, I've heard stories about new and intersting hair appearing after chemo. My sister's hair got curly for the first time in her life, and she looks good! A patient of mine, an older man, was thrilled with his new lush locks. I put curly hair on that very short list called "the good things about having cancer."

Cheryl,

I was wondering how you were doing post-op!! I am sorry that you had to go back to work so fast but know your situation and am glad that you were able to!

I tend to agree with your surgeon and Onc...your body needs to heal woman...the surgery is a huge thing and especially having to go back to work so early..you need healing time. Of course this opinion might mean more if I had a medical license.... :lol::lol:

Glad all is well...

Cheryl,

My goodness, your recovery after surgery has been INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!

You are really an inspiration. Please try not to overdo it. Wish I had some advice on the chemo but no experience there since surgery isn't an option for Bill (at least not now). I can understand being anxious about just waiting to see what happens though.

I will pray that God gives you the wisdom to know what is best for yourself. And congratulations on a successful recovery!

Blessings to you and Jack,

Peg

Cheryl---you seem to have done great with the surgery---sorry too that you had to go back to work so soon and I hope they are treating you ok at work.

Glad you got a new horse---not to take the place of Apache, but an additional pet to love

Did you ever find out what poor Apache had?

best wishes

Cheryl,

I had the exact protocol you did, although I think my tumor was larger, and it was dead when it was removed according to the pathologist's report. My surgeon PLEADED with me to have at least one of the two planned chemos post-surgery. I am three years out now with NED. Especially if you feel that you'd like to make sure and go ahead with chemo, I think if you are firmly proactive about it with your doctors they'll agree with you. Statistics say... that it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, but to those people who turned chemo down only to lose remission 18 months later, you don't feel like a statistic. At that point, going for the chemo is like closing the barn door after the horse is gone. (particularly appropriate analogy for you).

In a nutshell : Better safe than sorry.

I wept when I read about Apache, and share your sorrow. I hope you enjoy your new mare, and I know you'll come to love her very much in time.

Go with your gut feelings, and get the second set(s) of chemo. I have absolutely no regrets.

and hair grows back. I know. It's only hair after all!!

Warmly,

XOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Hey girlfriend, Welcome Back!

So glad to hear that you are recovering so quickly! That dry cough in your lung is annoying, isn't it -- I still have it a little bit (Taking steroids for it right now) but it is great that you are walking a mile a day -- that should help your lungs expland and recoup even faster!

As far as the chemo after surgery -- I'd probably take anything I could get to optomize my chances for no recurrence, but that's just my opinion!

Take care of yourself!

Heather

way to go cheryl ! :lol: that's great your back walking a mile a day

already.too bad you had to start work so soon though.i'm sure jack

will keep you from over doing it, but keep on trucking.i just finished chemo and will be getting my surgery like you had nov 06, hopefully i can be as strong as you.as for more chemo i feel if you are up to it ,the more they give you the less chance of anything returning.

you are inspiring me to be mentaly ready for this battle.thanks.

mini george

Thanks Norme, Teresa. DEbi, Peg, Eileen, Don. Mary Ann, Heather. and Mini George for the encouragement. I stay so busy at work I forget about the cancer! I get tired, but the kids I work with really keep me going! Eileen- Appache did have West Nile Virus. Don, how is your Son recovering? Heather- I sure pray that this cough resolves itself for you. Mini George PM me if you have any surgery questions. This board really helped to calm my fears! I love you all!!!

Cheryl

Cheryl, thanks for asking. Randy is doing very well. In fact, he came home this past weekend to attend his sister's one year of health party. My daughter broke her leg last fall and was in the hopsital twice for lung clots. She decided to throw a party. Her parents 9Don & LUcie) and her two brothers attended. Lucie stayed all three hours! It was a great family time. Best to you two. Don