Getting to Know You - August 13

Ann

From Hwy 54 turn south at Minneola Kansas on Hwy 283 and continue a few mile's and suddenly you drive down into what is called the Big Basin. Here you will see a sign pointing to Jacob's Well along with a history of it. It seem's that the well has never been known to go dry.Army Calvary Troop's,Indian's when on the Move and Cattle drive's were all norished by this well. Then you drive up a winding dirt road to the well and you are now looking down to the Big Basin where often Buffalo are Grazing.Then you realize how rugged our Pioneer's were and how resilient the native indian's were as tree's you will quickly notice are scarce.I hope you enjoyed your trip to a piece of little known America and what was once known as the great American Desert the Prairie....

I am from the beautiful midwest, so anywhere out of town is beautiful in my opinion. We love to go for a drive, when the corn fields on either side of the road are swaying in the wind, bright green and exploding with husks. Meandering through that field we can see a river, bubbling and churning because of the recent rains, and even an occasional flop of a fish or two. I love it here!

Jen

About 30 miles south of me, just north of Vero Beach, is a long dirt road, Jungle Trail. This road runs along the Indian River and truly represents the way life in "Old Florida" must have been. Driving along and seeing some of the remaining little "cracker" houses really takes your mind back in time. There are lots of endangered birds along the trail, as well as manatees. Unfortunately, there are now homes being built all along this area, so its future may not be too secure. The property is close the ocean and the river, making it very desirable for folks with lots of $$$ to spend.

Actually I have 2 favorite drives. I hope to make both of them this week.

I can leave here and head West on 299. Not far after leaving Redding you see very few houses and the road drops to 2 lanes. Ahead you can see the mountains with Shasta Bally domonating the horizon. As I start to climb I feel a great anticipation because I know what lies ahead. I made this drive nearly everyday when I was working and lived in French Gulch. After a few miles the hiway takes you though the old mining town of Shasta. There are still several buildings standing and and the remains of a row of brick buildings from the towns hay day. The whole town is an historical place listed on the historical registry.

After you leave Shasta you start to climb and make several turns. Off to your right you can see the whole town of Redding spread out before you then after one more turn and another steep climb you come to the top of the grade and a sight that literally takes my breath away each time awaits, Whiskeytown lake. The water is a deep blue and it is surrounded by mountains. Shasta Bally is in the background and millions of evergreen trees. In the fall there is a sprinkle of trees with all the glory of fall mixed in. Soon you decend to the leveal of the lake and drive across the bridge. A few more miles and I am at Oak Bottom where I go to fish.

Such beauty and all you have to do is look for it because it is all around here. Such quiet and a feeling the once again all is right with the world.

I'll save the other for another time. It deserves more than just a mention. I'd love to post a couple of pictures but I still haven't figured out how to do it.

Ya take I 40 west about 30 minutes west of my house and hook Rye 52 North. Do this in Fall for best foliage. Take 52 north about 1 hour or so and you will pass Pilot Mountain stickin up out of the ground like a Statue. You can even drive up top the top and see for miles. On a clear day you can see Sis's house probably. Come down from the mountain and continue North to Mount Airy through the country and stop in at Sis's Flower shop for a cup of Java and a smile and A big Howdy, :wink::) Right Sis????