introducing myself

casser

yes do tell us about yorself. We specialize in Hope and Inspiration. We also have a good news and an inspirational forum that may help if you wish to browse through some great stories.

Welcome. I am sorry that you had reason to find us here, but I am hoping that we can give you the hope and encouragement that you need...just look at my dad...he is in remission from small cell lung cancer! He is only 4 years away from a cure!

Prayers and peace to you.

Blessings,

Jen

• 3 weeks later...

You have support knowing there are many people out there who have gone through, or are going through what you're going through right now. When I needed encouragement I would look to my faith and spirituality and that got me through it. Also, helping the person who had the disease and the rewards I received from helping someone I truly loved made my days easier, but they were never easy. But you will get through it. There are friends here to help you.

"casser"]looking for some hope and encouragement...

I felt the exact same way Casser. I had just found out my mom had Stage IV NSCLC and thought it was an immediate death sentence. I was sure it meant we would lose her in a few months. And I knew I wouldn't be able to handle that. Both of my brothers have kids, but I just got married 2 years ago. My husband and I were planning on getting a house and start having kids next year, cause there wasn't any rush. All of a sudden, all I could think of was "OMG my children will never know the most amazing woman, mother, wife, grandmother and friend that I've ever known!!!" And that was just unacceptable to me. But then I remembered two very important things she and my father always taught us kids. Knowledge is Power and you MUST be your own advocate. She was mine when I was in Sloane Kettering at age 12.

After experiencing pain and other symptoms (and being told by our orthopedist that it was GROWING PAINS), my parents didn't just ignore my complaints and eventually we ended up at Sloane Kettering. The doctors at Sloane found a tumor in my tibia bone. They were sure it was bone cancer and all the tests showed it had spread. But when they did a biopsy, they found the tumor and removed it instead. After testing and finding only some malignant cells, they were shocked and couldn't explain why it hadn't. So I am a case # at the Mayo Clinic for the Unexplained Medical Phenomena. One thing they were sure of though was that if my Mom hadn't persisted on my behalf I would have definitely lost my leg if not my life. The only scar I have is about an inch and looks like a shaving scar. Crazy right?

So if my Mom tells you how great I've been in helping her, it's only because she taught me how. And because of this support board I remembered that doctors are great and statistics are fine, but doctors don't know everything and statistics are just numbers. You MUST HAVE FAITH!!!! If you believe you'll get better and fight for it, I think you can definitely beat the odds. And that's what I'm praying for. Not only for "My Little Patty" (a nickname since she's 5 foot and I'm 5'8" LOL) but for everyone here.

Good luck and please keep posting.

Kerri