PORT question

My mom is waiting to have her port put in before she starts chemo with her new oncologist. We've gone almost 5 weeks I think since her last chemo. But she wants a port. However, she's worried about not being able to do things again....can you swim with one? Is life "normal" with them? Or are there things you can't do??? Thank you in advance. I'll take all answers to Mom.

You can totally live a normal life. My mom has very small veins and the port made her chemo treatments so much more manageable. It's been in for 6 months and she doesn't even know it's there usually. Once in a while she feels it but not much- she swims, showers and everything else...

Julie

THANK YOU everyone at this point who has answered. I'm calling her as I type this...she thought this past weekend was the last time she'd be able to swim. I didn't think that sounded right. =)

My dad has gone swimming with his port. It has not been a problem...One thing to bear in mind though: if your mom is using a public pool, she should probably be careful a few days after chemo when her immunity is at its lowest...

Glad to hear your mom is feeling strong enough to swim.

Best,

Leslie

She can swim once the port site is healed. You have to be very careful not to let any germs in the incision and infect the port. Our onc told us no swimming until it was healed over (it is just a small incision they make in the chest). Tell her she will love it and it will save her veins. Ask for the creme that numbs the area before they access it- then she won't feel the needle at all.

Rochelle