Eye problems whilst on Tarceva

dtay

Hi

My Dad is on Tarceva and has been for about 5 months now and his disease is fairly stable at the minute. He has suddenly developed very sore eyes and the bags under his eyes are filled with fluid (and have small blisters on) - they are swollen too and are pressing against his glasses. Do you think this could be related to the Tarceva ? I was concerned at first that the eye puffiness could be something like Superior Vena Cava Syndrome but my fathers Dr said it wasnt that.

Can anyone suggest what this could be - has anyone had similar eye issues whilst taking Tarceva ?

Thanks

Dawn

I've been on Tarceva for over a year. I did not get bags under my eyes but I did get a rash. I still sometimes get a rash.

My rash took the form of tiny blisters that broke and formed scabs (about 50 or so just on my arm). They went up my neck and into my mouth. At that point, my oncologist discontinued the Tarceva for a few months and then started me back on it at a reduced dosage.

I don't know what reactions other people have gotten regarding blisters. Hopefully someone else will post.

Dawn,

Yes, Tarceva can affect the eyes. My mom has been suffering with many side affects from Tarceva and itching, swelling and crustiness of the eyes was one of them. If you read the literature with it , it is listed as a side effect.

Vena cava syndrome usually causes swelling to the upper body and the entire face. My husband had that. His arms were even swollen.

I would contact the doctor right away about the effect on the eyes . Anything affecting the eyes has the potential to affect vision. I couldn't tell you how it will be treated. My mom had so many side affects she has gone off the drug twice and put on a lower dosage. She still can't take it. Good luck.

Sue

Thanks everyone - my sister is phoning Dads Onc to discuss. Dads eyes are watering all the time and they are sore. I was wondering if an anti-histamine might help. Its very strange that he hasnt had any reaction to the Tarceva other than a mild rash but now 5 months down the line he is running into problems. I hope they dont take him off it as he has been told that it is his only hope.

Dawn x

Yes have asked the good Doc and waiting for his advice, he is fab and has been a great help to me - we cant phone Dads Onc until tuesday as it is a Bank Holiday here on Monday !!! They called the GP out and he said it was just congestion from a cold !!

Dads not suffering too badly with his eyes its just not nice to see them swollen and constantly running !His rash has suddenly flared up too.

Dawn x

Dawn,

I agree with Ry. Have someone check him quickly. My mom's eyes were running too. Unless your GP knows about Tarceva side effects, I would go for an oncologist opinion. Eyes are too precious to take chances with. I Would be inclined to think it's Tarceva especially since the rash has flared up.

Sue