Help is needed!!!

SpellBinder

my father 68yrs old was diagnosed with Lung cancer with mets to the shoulder and two of his rips last July 03... I’m not gonna talk about the emotional atrocity my family and specially me faced (since I’m the youngest and me and him are very close). He's been a heavy smoker for well over 50 years but never complained of anything....and never had any of the illnesses that comes along with age…all his tests always returned normal except recently for a pain in his shoulder that wouldn’t go away....this pushed us to do a full CT-Scan,MRI and all sorts of blood test. Discovered that he has a tumor in his left lung on the outer side, mets to left shoulder and two tiny spots on his rips, Immediately we started chemo (taxotere +Carbo.) In the meantime he was given radiation to his shoulder but after the 3rd chemo dosage....he started having severe pain in his back only to discover that it spread to his back (L4,L5 and spine) he was given radiation there and changed chemo to Gemzar+Navelbine(2x week,1x week off)

side affect wise......taxotere was a disaster, he went thru each and every side affect they mentioned in their website...some were so painful and severe despite the fact that my father is a very strong man....but ever since taking Gemzar things are a little better he finished the first session out of six okay but second session he managed to take it okay but today he went to take his second one but his HP was 8.6 and wbc was 4+ they wanted to give him blood trans. but he refused and Doc' rescheduled the appointment for 2 more days. he refused taking any pain killers or anything for the stomachache saying that he can bare and even if he does,he does it only when it gets unbearable

He didn’t experience any new symptoms other than the back ache …no coughing, tiredness except when taking chemo

I’ve started giving him lots of vitamins, minerals, calcium and nutritional drinks since more than a month now……along with loads of greens and juices …..I'm writting this cause i have a major problem with his eating habits, he doesn’t feel like eating at all and when he does eat,he only eats couple of spoons then he says that he is full....he doesnt want to take any medication to imporve his appetite.

Through out this whole situation, I was with him, I left my home and went to stay with him and my mom to look after him,but today I got so furious and mad that he couldn’t take his chemo,I didn’t speak to him or tell him anything,I just packed and came back home, I felt that he needs to know that I don’t approve his doings and he is not listening to whatever I tell him anymore, my heart is breaking to leave him alone but I wanted to take a stand telling him,if he wants to fight this cancer I’m with him but if he wants to lay back and just give up,I wont be with him (of course I will but just acting as if I will not)

I know this is a very long story for you all to read…..but I need your help to make him be more active as he used to be and most of all TO EAT!!!

I also heard a lot about RadioFrequency ablation? anybody know good doctors who does it??

Please advice me

Some info on RFA - I thought it would not be done unless the cancer has not spread, but it appears it may be used in this case also

See article below

Ask about Ethyol (amifostine) - this may help reduce the chance of radiation fibrosis and other problems (not sure if is applicable for your dad)

There are other ways to boost the blood cell counts - drugs like neupogen, epo, etc. There are different druges for white, red and platlets

Astragalus and mushrooms (reishi, maitake, coriolus versicolor, PSK) may help boost the immune system

Good info on www.cancerguide.org

Best of luck

-------------------------------------------

Radiofrequency Ablation Promising for Lung Tumors

Laurie Barclay, MD

May 8, 2003 — Radiofrequency ablation may be promising for primary or secondary lung cancer, according to a presentation on May 8 at the American Roentgen Ray Society annual meeting held in San Diego, California. In a preliminary trial of 18 patients, 90% of lesions were successfully treated.

"This study shows promise, but we suggest larger studies to better identify patients who could benefit from this therapy and to better assess the role of radiofrequency ablation in the treatment of lung tumors," lead author Cosmo Gadaleta, MD, from the Oncology Institute in Bari, Italy, says in a news release.

Of the 18 patients, all of whom had failed chemotherapy, 14 had lung metastases and four had inoperable non-small cell lung cancer. Ultrasound- or computed tomography-guided radiofrequency ablation destroyed 90% of the 40 lesions, with no evidence of recurrence at follow-up ranging from two to 12 months. One patient with evidence of residual non-small cell lung cancer at one month was successfully retreated.

Complications were relatively minor and transient, including pleural effusion, pneumothorax, fever, and slight pain. Typical duration of hospitalization was one week.

"These preliminary data show that radiofrequency ablation is a safe and feasible procedure to destroy lung tumors, despite the small number of cases and the short follow-up of this ongoing study," the authors write. "Further investigation is suggested to define the potential role of this technique in a multidisciplinary approach of primary and secondary lung neoplasms."

ARRS 103rd Annual Meeting: Abstract 264. Presented May 8, 2003.

Reviewed by Gary D. Vogin, MD

Dear Spellbinder

this may seem harsh, and only my opinion, and I know you believe that you are doing best for your Dad-(and you probably are) --however, you cannot force an adult to do something he or she does not want to do--

Many years ago, my Mom had LC---and I used to get furious at her because she would not do what was good for her-, she would not eat, she would drink liquor---and we had many fights over this-----many years later, looking back I thought about it and thought who the hell was I to tell my Mom what she should or shouldn't do ----after all she knew the facts and choose to live with her cancer her way ---It is so hard to force yourself to eat even when you know you should--

-I think you can suggest things to your Dad, but please do not get mad at your Dad if he does not do them---even though they are in his best interests---perhaps soon he will start taking something to increase his appetite--but I think on his terms---

regards and I really hope things get better for your Dad

Dear Spellbinder,

Let me speak to you from the point of view of a LC patient. It's obvious that you love your Father very much and I'm sure he feels the same way about you. You and he both know the poor prognosis that he has but only he knows how bad the side effects of the treatment are, only he knows how he wants to spend the rest of his life and only he has the right to make that dicision.

You are probably angry at the prospect that you will lose your Father soon. That's normal. But it's not his fault, why do you want to punish him. Closing him out at this point will only hurt him and you too. It's fine to advise, reccommend, encourage and cajole him but I don't think anger at him or trying to punish him is appropriate. It looks like you are a very controlling person and you believe that you could save him if he would only co-operate.

I'm fortunate in that my cancer is in remission but if the day comes that it is conclusively incurable and terminal, I don't want my kids, my wife or anyone else to tell me what I have to do or not do. If they get mad about that, I'm sorry.

I hope you read this with an open mind and that you mend your fences with your father as soon as possible.

Sam

Hi, I go along with Sam and Eileen, this cancer is your father"s and he is the only one who has the right to say how he will deal with it.

I know it hurts a lot when you think he is wrong, but it is his body and he will do what he feels is right for him.

As for not eating, it probably has to do with the radiation. It surpresses the desire to eat and sometime hurts trying to eat. That will get better and he will start to eat good again so don't worry about it. His body will tell him when it is okay. My husband had a really bad time with that problem also and he is now eating as well as one can expect.

Go back and see your dad and have a good daughter/dad day. YOu will feels so much better. YOu are the child, he is the father.......

Being a caregiver for a close relative who has lung cancer takes A LOT OF PATIENCE -- with the patient. I think you got wise counsel here. You want the days ahead, how many ever there are, to be quality time. Whenever I have lost my patience with my wife (really, not her but the situation), I apologize immediately because it is not her fault. I promise to do better, and I vent my frustrations elsewhere. Good luck on this bumpy road we are on. Don

Sorry about your dear dad. I just wanted to share that my father is having IMRT, Im not sure if its something for your dad but I wanted to pass it along anyway to ask onc:

Frequently Asked Questions:

Arnold M. Markoe, M.D.

Dr. Markoe has practiced IMRT (modulated radiation therapy) for four years.

What is IMRT?

Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) is a revolutionary type of external beam treatment that is able to conform radiation to the size, shape and location of a tumor.

How is IMRT different from other kinds of radiation treatment?

Although IMRT uses X-rays from linear accelerators just like other types of radiation treatment, it tries to treat non-uniformly so the target(s) get high doses and normal tissues are spared.

How does this impact me?

If normal tissues get less of a dose, the chances of side effects for the same dose to the cancer goes down. If the side effects are less, this means you can give the cancer more dose, which may lead to better control.

What cancers can be treated by IMRT?

Theoretically, all cancer can be treated by IMRT, but realistically we treat cancers where we want to protect adjacent tissues and their formation.

Will this treatment be covered by my insurance?

Many companies fully cover this type of treatment but you or your doctor should make sure. Medicad does not cover all tumors for treatment by IMRT.

Can you treat lung cancer by IMRT?

Yes, but you need to make sure that the tumor stays where you planned it. This is done by getting the accelerator to deliver doses only at action motions of the breathing cycle.

Does IMRT cost the same as non-IMRT radiation?

No, IMRT is highly technical and physician-intensive. Because of this, the costs are higher than more conventional radiation treatments.

I thank you all for the support and you all were right,i guess i was so very frustrated and desperate and maybe angry at everything and anything and i took it out on him in a way or the other...never will do that again...actually i couldnt resist being away from him so i got back the second day (i couldnt be earlier than that due to plumbing problems in my house :) )

anyways he went again 2 days ago to take his delayed chemo doze but again his blood hp was only at 8.7 and they wanted to proceed with a blood transfusion but he refused again,the doctors set us another date this Wed. hopefully his blood will better, his wbc is better tho,above 6 now,

they also gave him some form of Steroids i think,tablets 3xday,which is making him eat better now...now i'm wondering this delay...will it affect the treatment?

y'all are the best!!!