new ct results

Mike McCartney

Appreciate any thought or questions for the Dr. on a new CT result 9 mos after my wife's nephrectomy for renal cell ca. (Dr. felt like she got it all) but now with lung CT results of #12 aprox 4mm to 10mm nodules in both lungs. We see the Nephrologist Tues and she will be sending us to the first Oncology visit. We are in a large HMO. I know many of you have been here before and your thoughts and input would definitely appreciated. Thakns to all. Mike

First off welcome to thses boards Tons of knowledge and compassion. Probably next week more so than this weekend Being a Holiday and all!! :) Look at the top of the page and you will see a profile tab called My profile. Click on that and you will go to a new page. About 1/2 way down there is a Big box in the middle of the page. Inside taht box will be your Medical history for your wifes doctors visits. THis helps other members and gives us all info on how the tests went what treatments ahve been tried and so on. Plus this way you won't have to retype every detail every time. Just jot a note with the Date and you are all set. This should get you settled in while I take a look at things. Thanks RandyW

Mike,

I moved your post to this section only because I thought more people would see it here, along with your other post, it explains whats going on.

Hang in there, sometimes all you can do is put one foot in front of the other. There are lots of survivors here, even though I hate the fact that you and your wife have to be here, I'm glad that you found us! Lots of support here... like Randy said, its a 3 day weekend so there may not be alot of responses until Tuesday!

Hi, Mike, welcome to the LCSC.

I imagine one of the first things to be determined is whether the lung nodules are (1) mets from the kidney cancer or (2) a new primary lung cancer. That's important to know because the cells are different and therefore the treatment is different. The type of cell can be positively established with a biopsy of the lung nodules, but there may be a less invasive way to reach a conclusion on the nodules' origin -- I simply don't know. These would be good questions for the oncologist, and perhaps the nephrologist too.

I have read that the lungs are one of the favorite metastasis sites for renal cell cancer, and I believe you are justified in being skeptical of the surgeon's "got it all" statement. She may have removed all traces of cancer that were detectable, but there can be "micrometastases" in the blood that are too small to detect with current technology. Chemo, which is systemic, is designed to zap these cells as well as established tumors. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

• 4 weeks later...

Thaks, the PET scan showed one lung nodule benign and one suspicious for mets.from the kidney. The other 10 lung nodules were to small to be identified. Am I on the wrong board with this being renal cell with mets to the lung instead of lung ca? I won't want to take up valuable time of the kind folks here if I'm in the wrong place. THanks Mike

I agree with Ned that you may want to find out first if this is a met from her kidney cancer or if it's a new primary.

If it's a met from the kidney cancer then you may get some misguided information here being we are a lung cancer (being primary) board.

I would hate for you to get the wrong information if your wife does not have lung cancer as her primary, not that we're not supportive here. :wink:

I wish you and your wife all the best. Let us know how things go.

Thanks I will do that. I can tell you are all a wonderful group of caring people. What I didn't tell you is that I am an RN myself but this is toatally different when it's your loved one. I pray for God's best for all of you. Keep up the good work of shining your light in the darkness. It's off to see a radiologist oncologist about her left hip and spine tomorrow. take care all. Mike MCCartney

• 2 weeks later...

I *think* in general/usually primary lung cancer will not present itself as multiple nodules.

When there are multiple nodules in the lung it is often mets (not always).

You might be better served at a site specific to renal cell, but I am sure people will still answer your questions here as best as they can and you are welcome.

Good luck.

Just want to welcome you here and let you know that I am thinking of you both.

As soon as you find out the results let us know. We are always here for you.

Keep a positive attitude as that is half the battle. I know how scared you must be. Unfortunately, so many of us here have walked in your shoes.

Keep us posted.

Maryanne