allergic reaction to tarceva?

betty boop

Been on tarceva since June with some minor side effects but lately since starting an antibiotic I have noticed that my tongue is swelling. Called my general practioner and he said to change antibiotics but that hasn't changed the tongue swelling. The swelling went down with liquid benedryl...but I wonder if anyone else on tarceva has ever had the same type of reaction.

Please let me know if you have experienced this. Dr. West said to ask you all because he hasn't heard of this occuring. Thanks for your input.

Betty

Hi Betty,

How strange, your tongue swelling!

I can't say that I have had a similar reaction from Tarceva. The closest I have come to a swelling tongue was really a tender tongue and mouth sores. I have never been able to attribute my mouth issues to a specific drug since they just come and go over the last 3 years since I had my initial chemo.

I hope you find some relief soon. I can only imagine that the tongue swelling is pretty scary.

Let us know if you find out the cause and good luck,

Wendy

Are any of these in your List of Drugs being used by chance?/ could cause reaction you are talking of and that is an allergic reaction to tarceva from what I have read online..

Before taking Tarceva, tell your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:

· atazanavir (Reyataz), nelfinavir (Viracept), indinavir (Crixivan), saquinavir (Fortovase, Invirase), or ritonavir (Norvir);

· rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane), rifabutin (Mycobutin), or rifapentine (Priftin);

· clarithromycin (Biaxin);

· nefazodone;

· telithromycin (Ketek);

· troleandomycin (TAO);

· carbamazepine (Tegretol);

· phenobarbital (Luminal);

· phenytoin (Dilantin, Phenytek);

· ketoconazole (Nizoral), itraconazole (Sporanox), or voriconazole (Vfend); or

· St. John's Wort.