My friend Marc.

aceking

His funeral and memorial service were on Sunday. Wow, what a hard day. I had my own feelings of deep sorrow, which paled in comparison to his family's :cry: It still seems so surreal to me. I can't believe he's really gone. Even though, in the Jewish tradition, anyone who wanted to could put a spade of earth on top of the lowered casket, signifying in a way, blanketing the loved one in earth and forever protecting and comforting him, I was like "No way, poor Marc is really in that hole in the ground??? " I've been to many Jewish funerals - mostly elderly relatives- but I had such a hard time with a 37 year old being covered with earth. His father cried out "OhH!, Marc" in utter despair, as he put his spade of earth in, and it was heart wrenching! A father should not have to bury his son!! Everyone was sobbing.

On the other hand, everyone in my company who knew and loved Marc, was at the service - even those who had to change travel plans for Labor Day weekend. He was so loved!!!! SO many musicians, composers, singers and people who Marc touched in his life traveled to the service. It was 1.5 hours away from LA, and 105 degrees that day. And dry. But that service was SOGGY, if you know what I mean.

The lesson that Marc taught me is to not get caught up in the small stuff. Live your life like it's your last day on earth. Leave no message unsaid. Take pleasure in the mundane and the regular. Revel in the unexpected. Give. Laugh. Love. Feel.

I miss him so much! I feel like such an inadequate person in his shadow. He was so honest, loving, funny, giving, and hard working, even up until his death.

The one thing that I can offer right now is that I thought of creating a formal summer music internship program ( in Marc's memory) with his University - the Berklee College of Music in Boston. HUM ( my music company) would arrange to take on 2 just- graduated interns per summer and train them to work in the "music for advertising and television" realm. That was Marc's passion. He was on the Board of DIrectors at Berklee, and a huge advocate for them. It's the least we can do, giving other graduates chance in a field that is very competitive and hard to break into. Marc would be smiling!

Sorry for the rant. trying to cope.

Debbi

I am so sorry to hear this news. My thoughts and Prayers and condolences go out ot you and the Family and friends Of Marc.

What a wonderful way to memorialize someone by carrying on a program like that. And lastly thank you for Sharing this with us, Never apoplogize for a rant. And this is not a rant, it is a way to heal. I know, I have been there before myself and been told the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...