anyone had a stomach feeding tube?

Robin

I have lost so much weight and can hardle eat a thing without getting full. I can eat a piece of toast for breakfast and I am not hungry until way in the afternoon. It is starting to make me feel very weak. I am thinking the doctor is going to have to do something or I will not have a chance to finish chemo.

There have been a few folks here with feeding tubes, Robin. Jamie was one......can't recall who else. They did very well with them. They are only a temporary thing and as soon as things get straightened out and one can eat again ~ out it comes. Sounds like it may be something you ought to be looking into.

Good luck. Let us know, okay?

Kasey

My sister had one after having her throat radiated. The only discomfort she had was that the little piece that came out of her stomach sometimes rubbed on her clothes and was a little uncomfortable when sitting. Otherwise she did great with it. The uncomfortability was well worth being able to keep her weight stable so she could continue chemo.

Best wishes to you.

If a feeding tube was needed, I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. It saved my life. It was a painless procedure and was not a problem keeping it clean. I could get my nutrition through it as we4ll as my meds.

God Bless!!

Jamie

Robin - my mom saw a gastro doc as she was having issues swallowing and he threatened to put a feeding tube in her. This doc was way off base though as my mom was not to that phase yet, had only lost a couple pounds. We found out she had ulcers that just needed some time to heal. We would not have hesitated though if we truly thought she was at that point, to move forward with the feeding tube. My mom drank the Ensure/Boost shakes until the thought of them made her gag. Then she continued to drink Carnation instant breakfast drink. I think you need to get as many calories in as possible, even if that means eating ice cream for breakfast! Also, the docs can give you a med that increases your appetite.

Good Luck! Karen

Robin,

My husband was given good advice from his doctor's , early in his journey. The doctor's told him that at times he may not want to eat , but he had to think of food like you do medication and eat it for your recovery. He did like Boost plus and drank a lot of it .. vanilla only . I have heard many say that the chocolate is sickeningly sweet.

As for the feeding tube, he did end up having one, but not to be used for lack of appetite. He had to have a stent put in his esophagus when his tumor began to close in on that area. The feeding tube was put in as a back up measure if the stent were to become dislodged. We did use it on one occasion when he became very ill after some surgery. It is not hard to use, but would not be my first choice as a way to get nourishment.

Sue

I have a friends daughter that has one and the tube actually comes off and there is just a little port. You just screw the tube in when it is time to eat. My mom had a feeding tube last year with the tube attached and wasn't thrilled about it. She had discomfort from the tube rubbing so maybe if they can put the other one in it will be good. You should really have a feeding tube. You need the weight gain to help you fight and deal with chemo. My mom had hers in for about a year because she couldn't swallow. She has mesothelioma and the tumor had strangled her esophagus. She had it out in December and had a burning party at Christmas Eve. Good luck. Stephanie

I had a feeding tube while getting rad treatments to throat.

I opted for the drip all night because when I used the syringe feeding method during the day I wasn't hungry to drink shakes. It worked for me. The procedure is painless and if you tape down the tube it's not too much of a bother. After all, it's only temporary.

Do you like chocolate? If so mix chocolate ice cream with a bit of milk and add chocolate protein powder...best shake ever.

Good luck with your treatment.

Rose