He rollerbladed clear across Canada For LC!!!

RandyW

Rollerblader ends long trek to fight cancer

Lena Sin

The Province

Sunday, September 09, 2007

After wearing out 96 wheels as he crossed the country and made some 35 stops at Boston Pizza, Rich Ralph finally saw an end to his journey yesterday.

The 28-year-old Vancouver rollerblader jumped into English Bay to mark the end of a four-month trip that began in St. John's to raise money and awareness for lung-cancer research.

"It feels great," Ralph said after emerging from the water. "There were definitely days when I was shaking my head going, 'What have I gotten into?' "

Ralph was moved to embark on a cross-country rollerblade campaign when his friend, 28-year-old Adam Reid, was diagnosed with lung and throat cancer despite being a non-smoker.

Ralph managed to raise about $50,000 for cancer research.

Much of that money was raised along the way with Canadians handing him bills through car windows or at Boston Pizza stops, where diners made donations and Ralph was given free meals.

"I'm just so proud of him, it's so inspirational," said Reid, who flew in from his home in Toronto to see the end of the trip.

"You have your good days and your bad days, and when you have your bad days you can think of one friend and what he was willing to do. It makes a difference."

- To read about Ralph's trek or to make a donation to his cause, visit www.seetheend.com.

lsin@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Province 2007