Results

beckyg

I went back to MD Anderson yesterday for a follow up appointment. Last week I went and the doctor ordered a new CT of the chest and abdomen and a brain MRI. Yesterday he looked at them and said he can see no evidence of cancer anywhere except possibly the lung. I said, "What do you mean, possibly?" He explained that I have so much scar tissue in the right lung that it is impossible to tell from a CT what is scar and what is tumor. He said that the tumor is probably still there, but it could be entirely dead. He said the only way to tell would be to go in and biopsy it but at this point he doesn't recommend that--said I should just stick with the Iressa for a while. He also said that 6 months after radiation ends (next week for me) is when the radiation typically stops causing more damage, so it should be the case that my left lung and lower right lung should start to be able to catch up so my breathing will get better. He told me I won't be running any marathons. I didn't tell him about David P, but I did tell him that I really wanted smaller things--like being able to walk from the car to my office without having to take a break.

Now if I could just go back to the annoying dyr cough I usually have, things would really be great! (I have a wet soupy cough this week. In my world, these things tend to drag out for weeks before they clear up.) But, as my husband keeps pointing out, my head is empty, and my cancer appears to be dormant!

Becky

Becky,

This is very good news, very good news indeed. I personally love the idea of an "empty headed College Math Professor"! Here's to hoping that the wet cough is gone ASAP, and that by Christmas you are able to make it from point A to point B with minimal heavy breathing.

You're news made my day.

Fay A.

Becky,

I think of you often and your news just made my day -- it sounds like things are on the upswing!!!

I never heard that radiation continues to damage your lungs for up to 6 months.....GEEZ! Perhaps my cough and irritation will start to go away by the holidays as well........that can be our Christmas Wish!!! :wink:

Becky, if you lived right here by me I would run over and give you a big grandmother kiss and hug. Am so happy.

My Buddy has that dry cough too. I keep telling him it has to be from the radiation. It has been since April for him. That would be 6 months now also.

Guest Karen C.

Becky.

I think this is a good week for lots of folks - thanks for adding to it! And you just wait, I betcha you'll be running marathons after all!

God Bless,

Karen C. (Dave C.'s wife)