Blood transfusion & bone pain due to bone mets & on

jtlaharder

Hello,

My mom has NSCLC Stage IV and is on Tarceva. No prior IV Chemo yet. My questions are she needs a blood transfusion. I am not familar with that. Is it a unusal thing when getting chemo? Pls feel me in. It just seems like a scary word!! Also.....my mom has bone mets and she is in SEVERE pain EVERY night!She cries and moan at night. I feel so bad for her. The pain also comes and goes during the day. She is on Morphine and Diladid(sp?)around the clock. But it's not helping with her pain at night. When it flares up she need like 10mgs of Diladid! Is there any other pain meds for bone pain? Fentanol patch? Oxycodone? Thanks so much for your time!

It's not unusual to get a blood or platelet transfusion while under going treatment. It's done by a drip (infusion) into one of your veins. It's not painful or anything and most tolerate it well. I've gotten mine as an outpatient (1 or 2 but if more had to stay in the hospital) depending on how many I needed. Can't speak for the pain I would consult the doctor. Hope this helps.

ditto on the radiation. im surprised that the onc. hasnt put you in that direction yet (be sure s/he understands the extent of her pain).

re blood trnasfusions: chemo and messed upo blood counts go hand in hand. There are red blood cell boosters, white blood cell boosters etc etc etc. that help out. Transfusions are also used as is your mom's case.

My mom is scheduled for radiation on Monday due to the fact we just got the CT scan results and it was not good!! It is around her spinal cord so it can paralyze her. The onc do not want her to lose funciton of her bowels/urination. The tumors are fast growing and crawling up her nerves. She is on Decadron and Ativan.....helped with the pain she's been having. Doc said no chemo.....possible Navelbine. What's the chance of that? Thanks!