Dad is being upset these few days

berisa

My Dad has a negative mood and attitude now. He is greatly depressed and disappointed by the pain of leg. He has GOUT for many years, this week he is suffered from GOUT (we guess), I was afraid that is the cancer mets symptom but my doctor thought from my description, Dad is being suffered from GOUT instead of bone mets bcoz the doctor said bone mets will not make the bone suddenly become red and bigger in a very short time.

Two days ago, the symptoms had gone but today, his leg becomes big again. I am persuading him to see the nearby clinic doctor first for treating that pain. Do you agree that it is not bone mets? Actually, from the blood test (testing the substance level that causing GOUT) done by private oncologist this Monday (10/27), the result was normal (should be no GOUT) but I asked my own doctor this Tuesday about that and he said the blood test may not indicate it at that moment of being suffered. My doctor said that the cancer may lead to GOUT. I have done a little research and one article said kidney damage will make the body produce that substance causing GOUT and some disease/illness such as luekemia will also produce the substance. Did you hear about that ???

What should I do now??? My dad is now very disappointed and said "I have no mood and I will die very soon". Every time if there is anything wrong with his body, he will be very unhappy. :(

I don't know much about gout/or cancer causing gout, but my mother's leg blew up terribly 2 wks ago and the drs. discovered that it was an extensive blood clot from her thigh down to her ankle. The pain when walking is unbearable. When she puts it back up, the pain gone. The pain however is localized just in her calf. I don't know what kind of pain your dad is having?

I'm sorry for how your dad is feeling. My mother keeps waiting for the pain to go away. She says "It's no way to live". I agree with her. She also has tremendous back pain.

Kim

Guest Karen C.

I second Don. Have them check him for a blood clot. My mother had one when I was a kid, it dislodged and went to her lung, almost killed her. If he starts having trouble breathing he may think it's the lung cancer when it could be that. Don't waste any time, either.

Keep us posted.

Karen C.

I am sorry I don't have any answers for you, Berisa. I wanted you to know I am thinking of you and your dad. My mom too has been discouraged these past couple of weeks. Symptoms of treatment have been almost unbearable for her as well as horrible back pain. My mom had pains in her legs and they too checked for blot clots...it was being caused as a side effect of Taxol. I pray your dad gets some relief. It is so difficult to see our loved ones suffer.

Berisa,

I don't know anything about blood clots or gout but do know that when one feels ill and has cancer it can cause one to be depressed. Hopefully after the dr takes a look at this leg and finds the cause and sees it is not cancer (lets pray) then he will smile again and be ready to fight again and not think of death....

hi Berisa,

From the Stedman's medical dictionary:

Gout is a disorder of purine metabolism occurring especilly in men,..... characterized by a raised but variable blood uric acid level and severe recurent acute arthritis or sudden onset resulting from deposition of crystals of sodium urate in connective tissues and articular cartilage.

Translated, it's very painful crstallization in the joints of something your kidneys should be taking care of.

If your dad's kidneys are okay, make sure he is drinking enough water to flush himself out. That's especially important with chemo.

I hope it is nothing dangerous, and that you can get it attended to so he is out of pain soon.

MaryAnn

Berisa,

I'm saying a prayer for your father and for you. I'm sorry he is feeling so down and in such pain. Listen to the other suggestions about the Gout, and as far as his attitude, sometimes it's ok for him to be down.

Imagine how you would feel, facing this disease, the pain, the uncertainty. Those feelings are normal. Just keep letting him know that there is much to fight for and much love surrounding him. If the depression doesn't subside or he falls even depear into dispair, it may be time to ask the doctor for an anti-anxiety or anti-depressant.

Hang in there and please keep us posted.

Berisa,

I don't know much about gout but I do know that pain can really affect moods. I hope that your dad gets something to help his pain and he starts feeling better.

I agree with the above posts and I think we all go through "bad" days and depressing days...I am sure your dad will come out of this and be back to himself!! Try not to take everything that he says to heart and know that the pain is what is talking right now.

Sending my best wishes...

Berisa,

I can tell you personally from my 2-month's-long intense pain, it can make a person extremely cranky, and depressed. I hope your dad's pain is terminated quickly, so he can go back to being the dad you know and love.

Positive vibes to your dad.

JudyB

Truly thanks for all your comfort, advices and prayers. My Dad's knee is getting better and better these few days by drinking much more water, he now only feels a bit ache while walking upstairs and downstairs.

Last weekend, I met him and encouraged him as well. His mood turned better bcoz his pain was getting minimal from time to time.

I am now only suspecting two things, first whether my Dad is suffered from radiation pnuemonitis coz he coughs quite frequent and severe. I will voice out this point to the oncologist on 11/14.

Second is, whether my Dad is suffered from GOUT or the worst -- bone mets. Actually, for bone mets, what kind of pain is like? If the pain level is from 1 (the least painful) to 10 (the most painful), if bone mets, which level of that kind of pain? Does my Dad look like suffering from bone mets? I always tell myself, it doesn't like coz his pain is getting minimal gradually without taking any pain killer/medicine.

:?:

Your father may get down from time to time, and he deserves to have the pity party every now and then...this is afterall happening to him ( although many would say it is the whole family, ultimately this is his life and his disease ), but only now and then. Next time he seems sad just tell him how much you love him and with a smile not a tear...dont give up on him and he wont give up on himself

Hang in there sweetie