Avoid children during chemo?

azgirl

Many people (not doctors) have told my mom to avoid children during her chemotherapy. Considering she's got 12 weeks of chemo. and her grandchildren are such a source of joy for her, I'm wondering how important this is. I know her immune system is compromised and she needs to be very careful, but does she have to cut off all contact with children until after her treatment? I know she is planning on talking to her doctor about this, but I was hoping to get some advice from some of you.

Thanks for any insight or advice you can give!

Well I have a 5 and 2 year old and they were here the entire time of chemo. I think I did get one cold but that was about it. I believe there is some vaxinations that you have to stay away from when kids get them. I can't be for sure about that though. I am sure someone will say something about that. Just make sure she keeps her hands washed and away from sick people in general. My mom always wanted me to wear a face mask with the kids when there nose started running. My doctor chuckled at that one. heehee

I think if the kids are sick with something contagious, then you might want them to stay away until they're better, only because your Mom's immune system might be weakened.

Harry has been around our 3 grand babies almost every day during the 8 months of his chemo, but if they have a bad cold, my daughter keeps them home for a few days, just in case.

Good luck to your Mom.

Nova

Most of ther eason is that Chemo can lower red and white blood cells. Reds are energy level and whites are IMMUNE SYSTEM. low inmmune means more susceptible to colds and such. You can get respiratory masks at drugstores and even at Home improvement stores in a pinch and or even Walmart if need be LIKe middle of nite. Can draw faces o them for the kids too...... :)

I do know of one lady who has 2 small granddaughters and was told that if the kids were using the same bathroom as she then each time she used the toilet she should flush it twice the day of chemo and the day after chemo. Never heard that before or since, but that was what she was told.

wendyr

Because we were able to find dad's LOW, we were able to avoid him during that time. The one time we didn't (with my kids anyway) he did get sick and ended up in the hospital...however, if his numbers were high, we were there! My daugther was a preemie at the time, and we joked that the two just needed a big 'ol bubble around them!

Blessings and good luck.

Jen

I have been on and off chemo over the past year and I have three kids in the house. My mom watches my baby along with my brothers baby everyday while we work so my kids and my brothers kids always have colds at the same time. I keep a close eye on my counts and if they start to dip, I make sure I'm more careful around the kids. My biggest rule is no kissing on lips and no sharing drinks. I mark my water bottles in the fridge and there is hell to pay if someone drinks out of my bottle. They comply, they know mommy's life is at stake and they are careful.

Lilly

I am a school teacher and I was ordered by my oncologist to stay away from school. I was around children in my family. I just made a point to stay away if they had colds or anything. You cannot control that working at a school with hundreds of children.

Carol