Clinical Trial Didn't Work ---UPDATED!!! NEW TRIAL!!!!

tkelley

Hi All,

I was dreading writing this. I haven't been on much these days with the kids and working 2 jobs right now but I do think of all of you. I am hoping to run down here in the VA Beach Race for Breath again this November. If my age, weight and legs fail me, I can always walk :)

Anyway, dad's clinical trial didn't work. He didn't have as much growth as the 2 months he did nothing, just slight growth so maybe it was doing something.

At this point, I think they are considering any treatment more Pallitive than anything. He seems to be doing well other than some fatigue and weight loss. In a way, I think it was a blessing since it was so difficult for my parents to live up in Baltimore 10 days out of every month while trying to sell one house and build another. Its just so sad to see them not enjoying their retirement....

They are trying to plan some mini trips between the Gemzar treatments to see friends and relatives. We are trying to look at the positives. He is still here and there's been many times we didn't think he would be :) Anyway, moving on and hoping the treatment will buy some time.

Tammy

Thanks everyone! Kasey, you are right I am tired but its been such a 5 year roller coaster. Don, he already had Tarceva and it worked for 9 months but stopped after that. Of course, here we go again on the roller coaster. It seems dad may be eligible for a clinical trial at Bethesda NIC. Smoothstone posted it under new clinical trials and Randy provided a link THANK YOU! We've contacted his onc at Hopkins and he thinks its worth a try. Its the clinical trial or Gemzar which at this point is just because my dad said he wanted to keep fighting. Overall he is doing well so I guess if he wants to give this clinical trial a try we'll back him up. We've made it clear to him that its his choice we just give him the info to make that choice. We don't want him to think that we're grasping at straws here. I'll keep everyone posted. If nothing else, at least he'll be helping with research :)

Tammy

Well, Dad was accepted into a new clinical trial today at NCI. I had posted about it in the clinical trial forum where I learned about it from Hank and Randy!! He had extensive tests today and he is in. I will post more specifics under the clinical trial forum for anyone else who might be interested in it. A big thank you to Kasey for all of the inside info on NCI at NIH :)

Tammy