Headaches & Balance problems

nomadawn

Hi everyone,

My mum finished her 6 rounds of chemo a month ago. Since then she seems to have got worse in many ways.

Her fatigue & neuropathy worsened, she has sleep problems and now has intense headaches and balance problems. She woke up a few nights ago and was violently sick. Her appetite has also decreased and this was never affected during her chemo treatment. In fact during chemo she was very healthy and had only minor issues.

I am so worried. Can the cancer have returned so quickly after the scan showed major shrinkage ?

I was really hoping for a few months of reasonable health for her and was even planning a holiday which is now on hold.

Doctor has given meds for nerve pain and ordered an x ray of the chest in 1 month.

Could this be just an accumulative reaction to her treatment? She has had a lot of colds too.

I am so grateful to be able to come here for advice.

Thanks & god bless

Debbie

The onc will likely (or you need to ask him about) an MRI of the brain to see if there are any emerging lesions there. If so, be assured that both the stereotactic radiation and whole brain radiation are very effective means of dealing with a brain met.

Of course, if its not that, chemo is "tough medicine" and people can feel its effects for a while---but if symptoms are worsening as you suggest, it is important to be proactive to rule out other possibilities.

is she using avastin as maintenance? Avastin can cause pretty bad headaches in some people.

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your kind reply.

I think I am pretty much learning that anything goes as far as symptons of chemo are concerned.

That said, I think I will contact her oncologist tomorrow to discuss a possible MRI.

She is not on Avastin - not sure if this is available in teh UK ??? Should I be pursuing this?

Thanks again and god bless

Debbie

Deb,

Is the 'nerve pain'med your mom is taking neurontin? That can be rough to get used to at first, and I found the maximum tolerable dose for me: if I go over it, I do have balance problems. Also, I had cisplatin, which affects the inner ear and hearing, and I think balance to some extent as well.

Hope she finds relief from the headaches.

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Hi everyone,

I am due to speak with mums oncologist hopefully on Monday (he is very difficult to get hold of) but just thought in the meantime I would ask a few more questions.

Over the past couple of days my mum has improved. Her bad headache has all but gone and her balance problems have resolved - although she said she felt a little off balance when she first got up this morning but thinks she stood up too fast. Today she has been shopping and cooked us all dinner! Could it still be possible that she may still have brain mets despite this turnaround ? What could cause these symptons if it isnt mets? I would have thought that if it were brain mets she would not feel better in this way. She is still a little fatigued but does not sleep at all during the day. She has also been sleeping better these last few nights.

Thanks for listening

Debbie

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update you on mums latest issues. We went to see mums oncologist today.

Her main issue currently is pain across her shoulders which extends down her arms and round her chest area. It is waking her up at night and seems a lot worse at night time. She is talking Codipar and Lyrica in small doses. No headaches or balance issues any more though - thank god !

The oncologist took an x ray and said there has been no change since her last x ray in July 2007 so he is not thinking it is the cancer spreading. He isn't sure at all where the pain is coming from but said it does not seem to be chemo related as she had her last treatment in mid August. He has upped the dose of painkillers and told her to come back in a month.

My mum used to have neck problems and still gets spasms from this area. Could this be the culprit? I must admit I find it odd that they are treating the symptons and not the cause. Could this be something sinister or am I being paranoid?

God bless

Debbie