Possibility new lung cancer candidate

Max L

Hi..My name is Max, am 76 years young, am a Prostate Cancer survivor of 4 years, have diabitis, heart disease, anemia and a little backache every so often. Just took a CT Lung Scan and found a 12 x 10mm lobulated irregular left upper lobe pulmonary nodule (series3 image 20), not calcified. No enlargd mediastinal, hilar or axillary lymph nodes are evident. Am taking a PET scan next wednesday and so do not know whether nodule is malignant or if it is only an infection or maybe some scar tissue from the heart bypass 16 years ago. Regular doctor feels it is valley flu or sometimes called Arizona flu. Am rooting for any of these rather than lung cancer. Anyway, with my experience with the prostate support group for the past 4 years and trying to become an advocate, I now know how important it is to find the best there is to take care of whatever procedure you have done. For example my PSA was at one time 125 and it is now 0.006 and I am in total remission and I credit this to going to a medical oncologist in Marina Del Rey California who specializes only in prostate cancer. A big trip from Arizona, but well worth it. Equally important is my wife and family and the wonderful support group. Having said all this I am not afraid of the word "Cancer" as I was 4 years ago, but am still no hero, but would like to plan ahead. Would like to hear from an experienced survivor, how they feel and above all, considering that I might have to have this nodule removed, can anyone recommend a center of excellence, regardless where it is in the United States. Am too old to become a guinea pig and want someone highly qualified and experienced. I fully realize that I am jumping the gun since the PET scan has not been done, but I do not think that this a wait and see type cancer, and would like to be prepared. Thankyou for listening to my ramblings. Inez, my wonderful and I wish all of you good health,stay positive, and keep fighting. We will be looking forward to any replies we might receive. A positive outlook helps make for a positive outcome.

Welcome Max. We have had many individuals come here and find out later they have no need for a lung cancer support group. I hope the same thing happens to you. We have many survivors here so I will let them answer regarding the best place to go near your area and just say welcome to the group-- I am glad you found us.

Thankyou for being so kind to answer. I love all the people in our prostate support group, and now have foundd the same people all over again. Have a great deal and love from family and friends, but the more the merrier. Am willing to travel to where the best treatment can be found. Thanks again for caring and contiue with a positive attitude.

Using my experience with the prostate cancer and trying to help others in the same boat, I will not jump the gun, will just get it loaded to fire if need be. Will certainly await the results of the PET scan, but in meantime will get as informed as possible, so that I understand a little better what the doctors are saying. Also Inez and I go with each other to all doctor's visits as four ears are certainly better than two. Very fortunate when we found our Prostate Oncologist in California. He sat with us both for 2 1/2 hours and than handed us tape of the complete conversation so that if we had any further questions or did not understand anything he might have said we can play the tape. Also to this day when I call him in the morning I usually get a return call by early afternoon. This is fantastic and does not often happen with other doctors. Will keep you informed about PET results. Thanks for caring. Stay well and positive.

Welcome Max,

Hopefully it will not be lung cancer. You have a great attitude and that will get you a long way-- Lock and Load! I also believe it starts with a great oncologists. In the TREATMENT & Rx. INFO LINKS Forum I have a Misc. (Helpful Links) Information: post that list best hospitals 2007 as well best hospitals 2007 for cancer. Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted.

Rich

Thankyou for the kind words Ned. Will hope for the best and if it all works out, might just continue to check in on this site as thus far everyone has made me feel that I am very much welcome and certainly not alone. You mention Ned that you were an Airline Pilot. I am retired from TWA where I worked for close to 25 years. Was not a pilot but was in sales. Sure miss TWA, great airline. Thanks again, stay well, keep positive and never give up.

Thankyou Maurice. I will most certainly keep you posted as to my results. I do realize I am jumping the gun, but at my age, I do not feel that there is a lot of time for watchful waiting, plus, I have never been a great one to wait. Your sculpture look fantastic. Very envious of anyone with your talent to create. Thankyou for caring. Be well, keep fighting and keep positive.

Welcome Max: I hope it is not lung cancer. I understand your desire to learn as much about lc and its treatment while you await the results. Here are some links you can browse while you await the results of your PET scan.

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/

http://www.accuray.com/

http://www.onctalk.com/

http://cancercenters.cancer.gov/cancer_ ... names.html

Don M

As I have found out battling prostate cancer, I never wanted the cancer in the first place, but I am certainly thankful that I have met some of the nicest people in the world and some of the most compassionate. Does this not make you wonder at times, that if there are people like this, why is this world so full of hate, greed, prejudice and such a lack of understanding for one another. Hate to think that it is necessary to have a life threatening disease to make one open their eyes to what really is important. Thankyou all for your help and concern.

HI SHELLEY....Thankyou and everyone else for the kind words and kind thoughts. I was told to try and have a positive attitude 4 years ago when they found prostate cancer and they were right. I have been very fortunate thus far as my support group is great. More important, and particulary with prostate cancer, as it concerns a part of a man's anatomy that he holds dear to his heart and therefore, does not like to talk about, I have a wife that has been by my side constantly and who I love dearly. She has helped many other wives whose husbands have prostate cancer in telling them how important their support is. September is prostate cancer month, but I will bet you that most people do not know this. Men, unlike women with breast cancer, do not want to speak out about it. If anyone has spoken out about prostate cancer it has been the women. I do think it is getting better each and hopefully continues doing so. I will have PET next week and we will go from there. You cannot worry about what you cannot control, but once you have the results, you than have some control and can try to be positive, keep fighting, become an advocate, remember doctors put on their pants, or their dress, the same as we do, so do not be afraid to ask questions and do not accept some technical answer you do not understand. Inez and I cannot thankyou all enough for such wonderful words of support. All have a great day, a healthy day and keep your spirits up the best you can.

Hey Max!!!!

I'm chiming in a bit late here, but WELCOME to you!!!! My own husband had prostate surgery last October and we've been watching multiple nodules in both his lungs for over 2 years now. He is doing great and taking real good care of me!!!! Good luck to you and may you have no need to be here at all!!!

Kasey

PS: Give Inex a big 'Hey' from me as well!!!!!!!

Kasey, my wife and I wish your husband total remission with prostate cancer and we surely hope that there are no further problems with his lung. Sounds like he lucky like I am having your support and love which so very, very, important. I do hope that I do not have to be here, but am certainly feeling a whole lot better just talking to all of you in this support group. Even if test results are possible, I may still hang around.

Thankyou Susan. This, like our prostate cancer group is absolutely fantastic. The love, concern and caring for each other does nothing but give me a more positive outlook that regardless of the outcome of the PET Scan, I will be less afraid,more positive and only better for knowing this group.

Hi Max and Welcome!

Like the others, I wish for you a great PET scan and no need for you to be here.

Having said that I too hope you will stay regardless of your test results. You have a wonderful attitude and we could all benefit from your wisdom and experience!

Hang in there and stay strong!

God Bless,

Sharon

Sharon, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. Like everyone else in your group you have shown an ability to care, to support and to be there when needed. Cancer, regardless of what type it is has a way of changing one's life totally. It seems that it gives you choices, either to stay positive and keep fighting, a way to help others in need or feel sorry for yourself and give up which is not at all acceptable. After years of fighting heart disease, diabetis, prostate cancer and now the possibility of lung cancer, I still refuse to give up and hide. I have done this and each time my wonderful wife, Inez has brought me back and has shown me the waste of time doing that. Helping others and being as positive as possible, though difficult at times, seems to work better. We have found that the old adage of "when you are dealt a lemon make lemonade" is very true. Thankyou and all members of this wonderful group for your caring support. Be positive, keep fighting, and enjoy each day to the fullest.

Welcome Max,

I really hope you don't have lung cancer but you have a wonderful attitude to start up the fight with. As they are teaching my son in Boy scouts....Be prepared! It is good to have all your ducks in a row so your prepared for whatever might come next. Keep us updated.

Take Care,

Rachel

Thankyou Rachel for your concern. Inez and I totally agree that it is better to have an idea what is coming as I have learned through fighting prostate cancer that an informed patient makes a better candidate to be successful. Thanks again to your and your wonderful group. Keep fighting, keep informed, never give up.