Time for a chemo vacation

TracyD

It has been a while since I've been here, although I've been following keeping tabs on everyone in the background.

I decided to take a bit of time off from the boards during the past few months as I have been feeling really well and I wanted to live life, just for a bit, as if I didn't have cancer. My family and I had a wonderful summer, full of lots of fun trips and activities, many great memories.

But, circumstances have changed and it is no longer possible to ignore the cancer as it has decided to start growing again. Technically the cancer is considered stable, but the samll growth there is has prompted me to discontinue the Alimta. I have decided to take a break from chemo and follow a watch and wait approach under the watchful eye of my wonderful doc. I will see him every four weeks, and have scans in eight. He assures me that if I change my mind today he will put me right back on treatment, and that if I develop any symptoms I will have scans asap and get right back on treatment.

It didn't take long to make the decision. I am symptom free, with the exception of some minor aches and pains that I have had since this whole thing started. My lung capacity is 100%, I exercise regularly, and overall I feel great. I think a break from chemo will do my body a lot of good, and it will prepare me for whatever is to come next.

I am currently working on fundraising for the Boston lung cancer walk in november. I am blessed to have many wonderful people in my life who have stepped up and offered to help in my efforts.

Tracy

Tracy,

Your body tells you a break is needed,

you will get stronger while you take

a rest from chemo.

As long as your doctor check on you

and will take action when needed,

you will do well.

Enjoy your time free of treatment and

rushing around for them.

Love

Jackie

Hey Tracy,

Technically stable ~ not bad, huh? And often a break is a very good thing. Can't wait to hear what Dr Fidias said. I'm sure he will be keeping a watchful eye during this period. We're so glad you continue to feel pretty good. And like always we are praying like crazy.......this time for a long break for you.

Have a wonderful DC trip and be sure to let the President know we want more $$$$$ for lc :wink: . Can't wait to talk to you.

Love,

Aunt Kasey

Hi Tracy,

I've been wondering how you have been doing. So glad you had such a nice summer full of memories.

I think the break will do you good.

Your lung capacity is exceptonal, that is great.

Post when you can.

take care, thinking of you.

Maryanne :wink:

Tracy,

You have been in my thoughts and I am so glad you posted today. It sounds like you have had a wonderful summer and for that I am so happy for you.

The plan you and your doctor has set up sounds like a good one. Breaks can sometimes be as beneficial as treatment. Thanks for bringing us up to date and I hope you know that there are many of us here who keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Sue

Hi, Tracy, thanks for the update! I'd be inclined to make the same decision as you in similar circumstances.

We get accustomed to sticking the latest poison in our veins and sometimes forget that the body is designed to regulate cell division and cell death all by itself, without any outside help, and normally does do successfully billions of times a day. When a cancer treatment gets us to a position of stability, it seems to me that the body might be about ready to take full responsibility for that process once again, especially if we're feeling well and in a positive frame of mind. I can't give any authoritative reference for the thought in that last sentence -- it just "sounds right" to me.

Much Aloha,

Ned

TRACY!!!! How great it is to see your post. Really missed that smiling face. Giving the body a break sounds like a fantastic idea. So glad you and your family had such a nice summer together. Will be anxious to hear all about the Boston walk. Please continue to take the very best care of yourself. As always, you are in my prayers. Ellie

Tracy--it is really great to hear from you. I'm glad you had a wonderful, normal summer. I think stable is a wonderful word and you have earned a break. I think we fight best from a position of strength and from everything I've seen, you appear to be quite a fighter. I hope you break lasts for a good long time!

Susan

Hi Tracy,

Glad to hear you had a great summer (almost our turn down here) and even better to hear you remain symptom free. Having a break from all the treatment will give your body a much needed rest.

I hope it all goes well for you Tracy. I don't post often either, but I still keep an eye on things. Thanks for the update and good luck with your fundraising.

Sharon

Tracy,

It is so good to hear from you. You and your family are always in my thoughts. Taking a break from treatment is sometimes really needed. I'm hoping to take a break from treatments in January as I need my body to recover but of course that will depend on the cancer remaining slow moving. Glad you had a fabulous summer enjoying your children and especially that you are feeling good. Keep in touch and Stay strong.

Hugs

Lilly

A chemo break sounds like a good one as long as you pay attention to your body and let the doctor know of any changes. I hope your scans are great so that this chemo "break" can be a long one. Enjoy feeling good and have a wonderful rest of the year. Keep in touch.

Nina