Shoulder Pain as LC Symptom

tiredmom959

My only symptoms were shoulder pain and what I thought was indigestion. The pain was like a slight sprang. Neither one was severe. The shoulder pain was what I thought was from playing golf. I noticed when I played golf again that none of my moves agitated the pain, so I concluded that it was not from golf. Because of this pain and the slight indigestion, I requested a chest x-ray when I had my annual physical. They had just told me how healthy I was. They did do the x-ray at my request and then that is when we found the pleural area full of fluid. The cancer could not be seen till I had a CT scan, because the fluid was blocking it. If you have any doubt about what your problem is, I would recommend an X-Ray and a CT scan. After my diagnoses my daughter had a CT scan just to be safe, I hope this helps some.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

I also had shoulder pain and mine was more inside pain. It was a constant pain it never really felt better. I would have hubby rub it and still would not help it. I really can't explain the pain. it was just really uncomfortable and right on the should blade area for me. This probably doesn't help much so sorry:)

I don't remember ever having shoulder pain before diagnosis but when I started chemo I started to have some pain in my right shoulder that would come and go. I still have the pain on and off but it isn't anything severe but mostly a muscle pain. I have had several shoulder films to look at it but there is never anything to be concerned with. My theory is that the pain comes from the pleural effusion I have?

Rachel

Although my diagnosis came because of a CT scan due to years of Bronchitus, leading up to diagnosis I had severe shoulder pain that would appear only when I was extremely stressed out so I thought nothing of it. I assumed I wasn't handling stress as well as I did in previous years. It was a deep pain within my shoulder.

I had a "Pancoast" tumor. It is named after a Dr. Pancoast who decribed a syndrome that occurs if you have a tumor in the upper apex of the lung. In that area are blood vessels and nerves that supply the chest and shoulder and arm. The presure on the nerves from the tumor causes the pain.

Most all above seem to have had pleural effusion which makes me think perhaps that also can cause presure, don't know for sure if that is why they had pain.

Generally pain is not an early symptom of lung cancer.

Donna G

I had back, neck and shoulder pain for over a year before DX. I'd gone to every doctor and clinic within our area of the world and had had MRI's, X-Rays, injections and pills but nobody knew why I was in pain. When I developed SVCS I thought it was a reaction to Aleve.

Shortly after beginning my Chemo ans radiation routines all the back pain went away. I do get spells now and again but not at all as severe as before they found the cancer and started treatment.

• 2 months later...

I had severe pain in both shoulder blades prior to diagnosis (lc was found in my right lung, pain was first in my left shoulder, then also in right). It was the worst pain I have ever felt when I moved certain ways (like trying to turn over in bed at night).

MY diagnosis came because of a car crash and the CT scan they did in the ER. After starting chemo, the pain went away. Now that I am off chemo (tumors are about half the size, but still there), pain is back slightly, but not like it was.

I have since read that back and/or shoulder pain CAN be the first sign of lung cancer.