TO TAKE A BIOPSY OR NOT TO TAKE A BIOPSY?

Max L

Good evening everyone. As I have written earlier this coming Wednesday I will be taking a PET Scan as the results of a CT scan showed a 12 x 10 mm lobulated irregular left upper lobe pulmonary nodule that is not calcified. Played cards this evening with a retired nurse, who was told last year that she had a lump on her breast and was recommended to get a biopsy. She refused the biopsy at the time and just had another mammogram and the lump is still there and has not grown. Her experience as a nurse told her that a biopsy is not a good idea as air gets into the breast at the time of the biopsy causing a cancer tumor to grow and now feels that she was correct in her decision as her lump did not show change. My question to anyone here is if they have ever heard this explanation before, as her suggestion is that I do not get biopsied. Am not sure I agree, as her answer of being an experience nurse is all she was going on and though I respect her nursing experience I need a little bit more information. Has anyone ever heard of air during a biopsy making the cancer grow.

Good health to all, keep positive, informed and never give up.

A POSITIVE ATTITUDE CAN RESULT IN A POSITIVE OUTCOME. KEEP FIGHTING

I have had several doc's share with me that this is not ture. They use to say the same about lung cancer. The minute the air hits it, it will spread. :roll: It's been a OLD WIVES TALE for many many many moons.

Your friend being a nurse should know better. But, when people get things stuck in there minds it's hard to change them.

Thankyou Connie. I felt the same way. Cannot say it often enough but this support group is fantastic. Must also say the my prostate support group is great,but could be better and I think the answer is that men are too macho when it comes to talking about their favorite body part. If more men would share their prostate problem with women I think the women would get involved and make the prostate cancer support group even better. My wonderful wife, Inez has been very much involved and has brought in some of the wives to participate which has proven to be an asset. Thankyou for caring. Stay positive, keep fighting, never give up.

Hi Ernie. Have not gotten that far. Just surprised what the nurse told me about the air and a biopsy. Think personally she is full of hot air, but I respect her opinion, since I am far from an expert. Will have PET scan in two days and will go from there. Thanks for replying. This is a great support site and support is what I need.

I fully agree that she is taking a chance with her life. My limited experience with cancer of any sort is that though I may not agree with the persons choice of treatment or choice not to have treatment, I will support them the best I can. Stay positive, keep fighting, never give up.