is true or false

alexan

:? Is not the 1st. time that I hear that lung cancer now it can be treated like a chronic disease. Is true, and if is true why many people still dying??

If you can notice I am down again, but Ilike the idea of having a chronic rather than a fatal.

hugs bucky

Aw Bucky......TRY not to be down. I think what folks mean when they say LC can be treated like a chronic disease is that it's like treating heart disease with proper medication or diabetes with insulin. Finding the right treatment and just keep beating the disease back. It is most certainly possible.......more and more each day with the new drug therapies coming out.

Just keep that thought that you will beat it back and if needed do it again. There are many with other type diseases doing the exact same thing. Do some of them die????? Of course! So that is why some LC folks do too. But there are those who go on for many years. I'll bet that you are one of THEM!!!

Kasey

Hi Bucky,

My lung cancer, as well all my disease's are being treated as chronic-- meaning long (lung cancer 65 months) term with medications and treatments. My doctor nor I never considered it fatal, terminal or not treatable. Now stay positive, get on with life and enjoy your weekend. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best.

Rich

Right now research is trying VERY hard to get to the Chronic stage in living with this disease. Meaning daily or weekkly meds and thats all. All they mean is that you live with it and not die from it. I have always preferred to think of it as living with it and not dying from it myself and that was Debs rule. Tarceva is a step in the direction of being Chronic and not fatal, and there is research going on and strides are being made daily TRUST ME I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bucky don't let the cancer get inside your head this way. If I can help drop me a note!!!

Yeah Bucky, find something fun to do and then do it. Don't let the what ifs with this disease get to you. My fun thing has been taking video of my grandkids and my cats with a high definition video camera I bought a few months ago. I tried to capture it on my pc and discovered that I need to upgrade, so I am now in the middle of assembling a new pc with a lot more oomph. It is an enjoyable pastime and keeps my mind off my cancer. I always seem to think of it again around scan time though. Oh well.

So, my understanding is that lc can be treated more and more like a chronic disease these days. People are still dying, yes, but not as much as just 10 years ago. I think that in 4 or 5 years time there will be new treatments available that will box it up even more.

Don M

Bucky,

Ditto on what everyone else said. Focus on the moments and schedule things in future and look forward to them. I'm in the mind set that it's a chronic disease and although I have my down days I try my best to stay positive (Like our good friend Ernie always says).

Take Care,

Rachel

Is so great have such a good support. Thanks for being my friends. And of couse all of you are right. I know when I was bussy even forget that I have LC, but when I a alone or if I had a headache i became negative.

I play with my grand child every day since he lives with me, plus I have a junior in HIgh School, 1 sophmore in colege & one married in Texas with a pretty baby. So my life is kid of bussy, but should be more.I try to volunteer in th cancer center, but they never anwer back. they think I am a little cooo.

Guys you are so wanderfull, that I don't know how to thank you. have a good week

hugs bucky

Bucky, you've been given some terrific advice and I agree with all of it. Death is part of life and, even if you take cancer out of the equation, some of us will die sooner than others. Some of us will die later than others.

As the new treatments come out it will be entirely possible to die with cancer and not from cancer and that's what makes it a chronic disease. Now, those treatments are still 'in the pipe' but they will be coming out in the future.

Please try to enjoy what you have today. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is a promise. Today is the only day that counts.

God Bless

wendyr

I know how you feel Bucky. I have been through those ups and downs, worries and fears. Like everyone has said we must make the best of our lives otherwise there is only misery of waiting and wondering and worrying. I can remember spending ENTIRE days when I was not at work at the computer looking for lung cancer articles and results of clinical trials and ANYTHING that would help me to just forget about having cancer or not worry about it coming back. Now I try to stay busy and eat healthy, and exercise. Not to mention I to come to this wonderful site and get support from real people who know the real deal.

Carol