Dougie

overtherainbow

Apologies for the length but I wanted to go ahead and post the obituary we ran in our local paper. My mother wrote it and it was just beautiful.

Dad's burial is tomorrow morning - he was cremated and we will lay him to rest in the same plot as his own father. They were very close and this way neither of them have to be alone. Then we go straight to the memorial service. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Douglas Eli Harrington, October 16, 1950 to September 26, 2007

Dougie passed on after battling lung cancer for six months. We are left with trying to understand how such a beautiful man who still had so much to give was taken from those who loved him dearly. We so want to try to convey to you all the depth of our emotion and loss and to share with you his many gifts. It is a hard task.

Dougie grew up in Southern California in a loving family of four boys. He was an athlete, a scholar, and a leader throughout. He had many fond memories and friends from his years at Claremont McKenna College and went on to finish his education at USC with a doctorate in psychology. He was a practicing neuropsychologist specializing in patients with traumatic brain injury and sports concussion. He loved his work and his patients and had a tremendous impact on his field. He accepted positions of leadership within professional organizations and loved to teach those entering the field. Saying good-bye to his patients these last few months was painful.

The essence of Dougie was expressed best through his love for his family. He leaves behind his two brothers and their wives, Bruce and Nancy Harrington and Ron and Susie Harrington. He is pre-deceased by his parents, Roger and Phyllis Harrington, and his younger brother and sister-in-law, Keith and Patty Harrington. His extended family of his mother and father in-law, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, and nephews hold his memory dear. His wife Karen is so grateful for 30 years of marriage to this amazing husband and father who showed his love daily. His three children, Kristine, Kayley, and Thomas will always remember his deep affection and will carry his passion for them and their pursuits always. His children (and many others in this community) had the benefit of soccer, baseball, and basketball coaching, his leadership in Indian Princesses and Guides, and his support of Newport Harbor High School. Twice he served as President of the NHHS Navigators, and focused on enriching the high school experience for all students. He brought his professional expertise to the school by volunteering sports concussion testing for the athletic program.

His love of sports and his professional life came together again through his affiliation as a consulting neuropsychologist for the Anaheim Ducks Hockey Team, of which he was a huge fan. To his family and friends, the Stanley Cup triumph last season was a personal win for Doug. When he was well enough, he and Thomas were cheering them on at the Honda Center, and throughout the playoffs they kept a personal shrine to the team.

Dougie lived in the Newport community for 28 years, half of his too short life. He will be missed by so many who cherished his friendship. He was a great chef and loved to cook and entertain with his friends. He woke up with a smile on his face that was infectious and started all of our days so positively. He was a superb dancer. He loved to travel with his friends and family. He was a man of tradition that made every birthday and holiday so special. We know that as the pain of our loss recedes it will be replaced by wonderful memories that we all will carry forward and share for many years.

Throughout his illness, he felt surrounded by love and caring from so many. Thank you for your notes, flowers, music, food, visits, and genuine affection. It sustained us all throughout.

You are all invited to say good-bye and share his life on Saturday, October 6, at 11:00 a.m. at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, 600 St. Andrews Road, Newport Beach, CA 92663. In lieu of flowers, Dougie wanted to be remembered through gifts to the following organizations: Share Our Selves, 1550 Superior Ave., Costa Mesa, CA 92627; Center for Cancer Counseling, 1000 Quail St, #187, Newport Beach, CA 92660; or the Brain Injury Association, 1608 Spring Hill Road, #110, Vienna, VA 22182. [/img]

I am assunig that you are Teeny ~ Krisiina. What a legacy your wonderful dad leaves. I am in awe of his accomplishments during his abbreviated life. I want you to now that I truly believe you are just an amazing daughter. I am so very sorry for the loss of such a wonderful man.

Kasey