JudyB update

JudyB

Well, I met w/my oncologist on Thurs. I'm going to get Navelbine & Gemzar. I'm going to get less of a dose, but I'll get them every other week. First treatment is Monday.

I asked if there was a blood marker for squamous. She then requested CEA to be checked when they drew blood after visit. Is this a marker or not?? And if it is, why is this the first time it's being checked???

I also asked why I hadn't had an MRI in the 1 1/2 yr since surgery. She said we will check every 2 mos, alternating between Cts & MRIs. Apparently, where my metastasis showed up IS VERY COMMON!!!! Why wasn't an MRI done??? Didn't get an answer really. She sounded like Pres Bush dodging an emabarrassing question.

Was able to go out to dinner last night w/husband, John and his son to celebrate the son's 29th b'day. I have had to lie down, if not all the time, then 20-30 minutes for every 5 minutes sitting or standing. This has been for so long, I can't even remember the last night out. So, it was a big deal!

I'll post again after I get screwed on Wed. (You'd have to have read a previous post for this to be understandable. Ha!!!)

My techie also got my PowerBook wireless ethernet going again, so I should be able to post more often.

JudyB

Judy,

That was great that you got to go out. I think some semblance of normal life is sooooooo important.

Hope the chemo is easy on you and does the trick.

Someday I am going to post exactly what I think of doctors - no, not all bad. I just get tired of telling them what treatments and options are available.

Ginny

JudyB.

Glad you got out of the house. It did you a lot of good I bet.

My tumor marker paper states that "the most commonly used markers circulating in the blood are neuron specific enolase (NSE), carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA), etc...." so the answer to your question is yes, it is a marker. My Buddy's was 3.2 and the nurse said that was good.

As for as drs go, it seems like we have to be on our toes at all times and have some knowledge of lc and keep an eye on what is going on with either ourselves or our loved ones. The drs have all the reports on their patients but they have so many patients. I think Sam has diagnosed his type of cancer that he was going to discuss with his dr. I think he felt he did not have what they thought he did. I don't know what came out of that though. Hope whatever, he is being treated correctly. We all hope for a correct treatment.

That is what is so great about this sight, it give out so much info from each and everyone that we all learn sooner or later what to look out for, what tests are good at detection, what chemo's are working on what kind of cancer and so on.

Hey Judy;

So glad you got to go out and so very glad to see you posting again, :):):) and great ya stopped in at chat.

Interesting note ya got on there about the MRI 's ; I think I'm gonna to ask my doc about it, also still having the back problems, but bone scan done in May was good, but again still having the pain so rather be safe than sorry.

My doc also does the CEA readings; we have a recent large thread on it under general. Think it's titled markers by norme. Check it out, cause I added some links to it which just confused us all that much more. :?:?:?

Yea, I know makes no sense, Anyway, I sent in a question to Dr. Mark Kris who will be hosting the Q & A this Wed. on Lung Cancer. The details are in the Activism section. I asked if he would discuss tumor markers as part of his telecast cause 680 members of LCSC want to know. We shall see??

So glad your doing better, and good luck getting screwed on Weds :shock::shock:

God bless and know your in my prayers.

Bobmc- NSCLC- stage IIB- NSCLC- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely inist on enjoying life today!"