Wheres My Hair?

Dollfinn

I have not seen alot posted on hair so lets go there! I took Cisplatin; velban and Radiation almost 2 wks after last chemo 8/17 and to date it just comes out in clumps. ONC. Dr. not much help. My husband and I reasoned chemo has a 1/2 life in the body so we just went w/ it. The hair thining thing. But it wont stop! I am VERY greatful, I have not reached the bald shiny stage, but will I? Right now I look like I have a great plug job! I stay away from hats as I feel it stresses what I have left, and I sleep on satin pillow cases. All posts welcome. Mary

Hi. My sister just went ahead and shaved hers off. It grows back and there are some wonderful wigs out there. Hers kinda started out like that too..but every time she brushed or shampooed..more hair came out. I would think that over time yours will come out too..I think it was more bothersome for her to have to keep cleaning it from the shower and the floor..so she went ahead and shaved it off. She has some great wigs. I hope I am not coming off as being insensitive..I don't mean to be. Just from experience through my sister, I know what you must be going through. It gets easier with time.

Good Luck to you,

Bobby

There has been a LOT posted regarding hair loss. Just type in Hair or Hair loss in the Search area and look out, you'll get all kinds of posts!! :wink:

I was a pool cue for about 6 months then my hair came back. A little darker but after a while it went right back to being the same it always was.

I shaved my head when 80% of my hair fell out. It was very emotional for about 24 hours and then I was over that hump. Some days NOW I think of shaving my head bald. teeheeteehee! BALD IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

Mary Go get a wig because it looks CUTE ON YOU!!! Don't make a job out of it. Make it a FUN DAY!!

Hugs,

Connie

Liz, Connie , Sue`

I'm on my way 2 the Mall. I have the Rx for a wig, it's just the action of going to pick it out, I think gee, how easy 6am will be! I'll try the bioten and use the "insurance" benifit of a wig. My Mom had 2 and I donated them both after she never used them. I just think it's not fair to the people you encounter, I think we wear a wig for "OP" other people. Thanks, Mary

I had a heavy white mane like old Buffalo Bill Cody and I went through about five months of chemo and radiation without losing hardly any hair at all.

Then I went into PCI and by the second week my hair was falling out like yours is now. I gave up and got my head shaved bald just before Christmas. By the end of February my hair had started growing back thick and strong and DARK. I think it was darker than it had ever been previously.

Now that I've reentered treatment my hair has gone gray really fast and it began falling out again as soon as I restarted chemo. Different recipes this time so different reaction I guess. Having gone through it once I don't worry about it this time. It looks like a mess and I look like a wreck but that doesn't bother me in the least. I wear a hat or a cap when I feel like it and don't if I don't feel like it.

Just like Arnold Schwarzenegger, it'll be back.

My only worries now are the scans and draws and they're improving.

Have fun on your shopping trip.

John

From July '06-September '06 I had low dose chemo weekly (paclitaxol and Carboplatin). I cut my hair short and none of it fell out. In November '06 I had one large dose of Paclitaxol and Carboplatin and all my hair fell out in clumps. It took two weeks and I had none left but my brows and lashes stayed. My hair started growing back during Gemzar treatments. Then in the spring with Abraxane my hair fell again, especially my brows and eyebrows. All began to grow back with Tarceva and now with Alimta it is still growing. But I have been truly without any significant hair since November '06 and don't expect to see much of it any time soon. You get used to it. I wear a wig for work otherwise everyone sees me in those biker bandana's with the tie in the back.

Here is hoping your hair doesn't all fall out.

Lilly

My mom decided to shave her hair off rather than deal with clumps in the bed every morning. I know she was VERY worried about her hair falling out. My mom is much like Susan's, both were more worried about the hair loss than the chemo or cancer. ANYWAY, she bought 3 wigs and they look great on her! I must say, better than her usual color (we may have to address that when it grows back in) I'm sure it must be traumatic when it starts coming out, but the wigs have worked very well when she's out. She wore them without any problem on a recent cruise. She doesn't usually bother with a wig at home and usually just wears a soft scarf. Good luck. Shelley

I have freinds that have never wore a wig during there treatments and I have a friend now that never wears a wig. They look just wonderful to me, with or without. They don't care what other people think and neither should you. If your comfortable without one, then I say, HAVE AT IT! It's not about other people, this is about YOU! :wink: Do what YOU feel comfortable doing.

No matter what you do, have fun doing it. (life is to short)! :wink: