Iressa and the Flu Shot

Guest Piermarie

Guest Piermarie

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about whether or not you can get the flu shot while taking Iressa. My mother has been on Iressa for about 4 weeks now and was hit with a pretty bad cold/sore throat this past week. It made me think that she should probably get the flu shot to prevent any unnecessary illnesses this winter. We don't meet with the onc. until the end of this month, so I thought someone might have some input or advice. She seems to be doing quite well on the Iressa so far. She hasn't taken her pain meds at all, which was Tylenol 3's. That helped control her cough also but she hasn't been coughing at all since the Iressa began. We will set up for the catscans in a few weeks and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, feels like she is doing sooooo much better but I'm afraid to get my hopes up.....

Becky,

Your oncologist didn't have any? That's odd,we aren't seeing the shortage this year on the East Coast that we had last year. I am surprised that you would be out in Tx. I have my appointment for my kids on Nov. 11th, and they didn't say anything about shortages this year either.

Good luck in finding one. They may be set aside for "at risk" again, and if so, you qualify.

Regards,

MaryAnn

Hi Pier,

It sounds worth making a quick call to your mom's oncologist and finding out. I know they recommend that anyone with lung conditions protect themselves with a flu shot AND a pnemonia shot.

I was scheduled to get mine and then started a short course of Prednisone. They suggested that I hold off the shot until I finish the steroid because it may make the shots innefective.....

Definitely ask the oncologist immediately about a flu shot and a pneumonia shot. Dave's oncologist told him to get both. But we had to ask him, he didn't volunteer it. Dave's not on Iressa but it probably doesn't make a difference, but still, call up and ask.

You have to ask/prod these doctors for everything!

Good luck!

Karen C. (wife to David C.)

Hi,

I believe there are different forms of flu vaccines "active" and "inactive". The pneumonia shot is "inactive". from my reading the inactive forms are safe enough to give to HIV and Aids patients as well as people receiving chemotherapy.

Cary