Update on dad

luvmydad

Just got back from another doctors appointment with dad. Last week he had the lung biopsy done, and after they were finished we were told that everything they tested that day was benign, but they had some samples to be sent off to the pathologist for testing. The results of that was what the appointment was for this morning. And again....everything came back negative for cancer. Now they are ordering a needle biopsy for either this week or next.

This waiting is SO hard. The first cancer doctor he saw said that it was in advanced stages, surgery wasn't an option, and you have a 15% chance. They even scheduled an appointment for last Wednesday for the radiation marks to be put on his chest. (which by the way, dad refused to let be done at this point in time)

The pulmonologist (sp) this morning said because the PET scan lighted the area up (approx 3cm) that it is highly probable that he has cancer, but we first have to have a dx of it before one can even begin to stage or talk about treatment. He also said that where the mass is in dads chest that surgery would very much be a possibility. And that it does not appear to be in the chest wall, so chances are good that it is early stage. :? Why all the conflicting information. To say the least, dad will probably not ask me back for anymore of his appointments because I made an a** of myself this morning. I feel it is unexcusable that the CT scan showed up on August 8 that there was cancer and on Oct. 10 we still don't have any answers. It has been a miserable two months for mom and dad. I have only known for 3 weeks and I know how hard it has been on me. Anywho....poor little doctor was going to make sure that the needle biopsy was scheduled for this week or first of next. Everyday we wait is a day less of treatment if need be is the way I look at it.

Thanks for listening. I haven't told anyone besides my husband and best friend what is going on in our life right now, so sometimes I just need a place to air my frustrations.

Teresa

I guess my "going off" on the doctor worked this morning. Mom called this afternoon and said that dads needle biopsy was scheduled for in the morning at 9:30 am. She said that dad has had an awful day, he is so tired of worrying, and is terrified to have this biopsy done. I feel relieved!! We may not get the answer we want from this but at least we can finally get things rolling. Keep us in your prayers.

Teresa

Teresa:

I have had 3 needle biopsies and they are not that bad. And so far, you really don't have any conflicting information. Unless a bronchoscopy or a needle biopsy comes back as positive for cancer, it is considered inconclusive. If the needle biopsy does not find cancer, the only way your dad may find out for sure is to have a wedge resection and put the tumor on the operating table and then have a pathologist test it on the spot. My needle biopsies were all inconclusive.

Looking back on it, I wonder why they bothered with the bronchoscopy and lung needle biopsies for me. If they can't establish that I have cancer, then the next step is an open biopsy. At the time I was looking at surgery as my treatment. If they find out that it is cancer with the needle or a bronchoscopy, they would cut me open anyway. So why bother with that stuff and just cut to the chase and cut it out and then see what it is? I can see trying to establish what kind of cancer it is with less invasive tests if you are going to just have chemo, but I was a surgery candidate as your dad may be.

The waiting to find out what to do if it is cancer is the hardest part and I hope you soon get answers.

Don M

Dad got along fine yesterday with the needle biopsy. We are still waiting for the results.

The conflicting information we have, and I feel is very conflicting is that one doctor said it is advanced stage, inoperable, 15% chance to live, basically you are going to die and soon...have a nice day. The next doctor said that if he has cancer where it is IS operable, and it appears to be early stage since it hasn't spread outside the lung. To me this is opposite ends of the spectrum.

All we can do is wait. I know that no one can determine anything until there is a positive dx, and we can go from there.

Teresa,

I can only imagine your frustration and confusion. That is crazy, having 2 completely different opinions, however; it is good that you found the second doctor. Your father is so right to not go for the radiation at this point until they find out what exactly is going on.

Please keep us posted as to what they find- glad that you were able to 'fast-track' his tests!