Carboplatin/Taxol/Avastin - What can I expect???

Peachy

Very soon, I will begin 4 rounds of Carboplatin/Taxol and then just Avastin. What can I expect? What are the side effects of this chemotherapy cocktail? Can someone enlighten me. My caretaker is my adult son. I want to be prepared so as not to burden him too much.

Thanks,

Peachy

Hi Peachy-

I started out on Carboplatin/Taxol/Avastin and I did tolerate it fairly well. Of course, I lost my hair but then it sounds like you already have. The pre-meds they gave me of Decadron/Aloxi/Pepcid really worked - I never threw up altho a few times I felt a little naseau. I had a few mouth sores (start rinsing with salt water rinses as soon as your chemo is over) and I had a numb, tingly tongue that drove me crazy!! Other than that, I was just really tired all the time. The Aloxi - which worked wonders for nasuea, constipated me terribly. So I would drink a cup of Senna tea and that worked fine.

After 6 cycles, I went on Avastin only - what a piece of cake. The only side effect I had was elevated blood pressure and they were able to control that by meds. I got all my energy back and really did not feel like a cancer patient at all.

Keep in touch - hope this helps a little. I'll be thinking of you!!

Hi, Peachy:

I still have a rather detailed account of my side effects from this combination in my profile (below). Was about ready to remove some detail to save space, but didn't get around to doing that, which makes it easier to answer questions like yours. The combo and then Avastin alone worked well for a year, and was still working to a degree but running out of steam, so I just this week switched to Tarceva.

The skin problems I had/have seem to be more than is typical, but just about everyone gets the fatigue. Mine was not overwhelming, and I still did productive things every day, but naps were a must starting a couple of days after each infusion, especially during the later cycles.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi Peachy,

My mom is in the second round of four of her chemo., also carbo./taxol. Her biggest complaint is that she doesn't have her usual energy. She hates to sit around! She's normally a very busy lady, but she's had to slow down a lot during her treatments. She feels best in the morning, so she tries to do as much as she can before lunch, and then she usually has to rest for a few hours after lunch. Other than fatigue, she hasn't had any horrible side effects (yet!). We hope they stay away!

She says that WBR was much more difficult to endure. I know that it is different for everybody, but I hope that helps a little.

I wish you the best!

Thank you all, again for some very valuable information. This site is wonderful. You are all so very helpful. God bless you.

asgirl - It's wonderful that your mom is having an easy time during chemo. Did she continue to eat a regular diet during that time?

She's never gone back to her pre-diagnosis diet. She was diagnosed in June and we immediately began researching nutrition and her diet's been mostly plant-based since then.

She does have sugar and meat cravings sometimes and when she does she doesn't completely deprive herself, she just eats whatever she is craving in moderation.

Well what can I say you may expect head aches and some leg pain. and I felt tried after trying to complete some physical tasks that was no problem before. I want to inform you that we seem to be different in what happens with these drugs, I asked the same question and I seem to even ask them now. the thing to rememeber is to keep fighting and try to remain active in life.

I'm on my second round, this time its a drug called Taxotere every 3 weeks of 4 sessions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was on that cocktail for 7 months and tolerated it very well. My only real side effect was some lethargy on the weekend, my treatment being every Thurs. I also had some numbness in my feet, but all tolerable. I am now just on Avastin and doing fine with that too. I wish you the best. Wendy

I have had 4 treatments with all 3 of the medicines. I feel very blessed, as the only side effects I have had is my hair falling out. I am a little tired for about 3 days but that's it. They give me premeds of course, so I don't get side effects.

I hope you get as lucky as I have been. :D

Keep us posted!

Denise

• 4 weeks later...

I just had my fifth Taxol/Carbo/Avastin cocktail. It wasn't a straight line of side-effects because it was administered differently all but 2 times! In any case, I was disappointed this time because I thought it would be like the second--some manageable naseau the fourth day and a little into the fifth. Instead I've had constipation and cramping (only encountered once before) and naseau beginning the third day, fourth day and into the fifth. I had asked a family member on chemo some years ago if the effects were worse with each infusion and she said no. I agree so far with Ned, the fifth is a little worse but at least I don't have the headaches I had the last two infusions--a cold, sinusitis or 1/2hr vs 1 hr infusion of Avastin???