Looking for Hope

Barbb

Hi everybody, I am finally ready to talk about my husband's lung cancer. He has smoked for 38 years and I knew this bad thing would come some day. He had so much bone pain after knee surgery in March 2007 but we just didn't think of cancer. It has spread to some ribs and most of his vertabrae. He was diagnosed June 29, 2007 with non small cell squamas, stave IV. He is 54 years old and still working. He just finished his 4th session of chemo and is having a "break". Will have another scan on the 26th. I am pushing the feelings down but at night my thoughts are so painful. I am going to a therapist who started her practice over 20 years ago as a cancer patient/family therapist and it helps some, hurts some. It just feels so hopeless.

Barbb

Hi Barb,

Welcome here and sorry you had to find us.

Please when you get a chance to post a profile of your husbands treatments which will appear on the bottom of your post so we will remember what stage and treatments. Just go up ot the top of his page when it says my profile and fill that in.

There is ALWAYS hope never give up. There are so many treaments out there, much more than before.

We are always here for you for support or if you have questions.

Please keep us posted on his progress. We know who scared you are as we have or am walking in your shoes.

Maryanne

We have been told several times to do the fun things we always wanted to do and make memories,it sounds like Rod is going to pass away any minute when the medical people say that.

Do you have trouble with eating/providing meals? Rod eats Arby's, cereal, soup, and egg salad sandwiches. He also likes to eat cantalope. He drinks 2 cans of ProSure a day also. He isn't gaining wt. but is staying steady.

Do you also find yourself or patient sleeping most of the time they are at home?

There are so many things I need to do but have never had to. I'd like to cut some trees, small ones, that were destroyed in the tornado so we can use our wood stove this winter but the chain saw won't start. I don't enjoy that job but I know how to do it. I hate having to be in charge. I am not good at it and I liked being taken care of.I guess that has come to a screeching halt now.

Well, thanks for reading this, I sure appreciate the responses, nice to know I'm not alone in all this crap.

Barb

Welcome Barb,

Glad you found us, It is important to stay positive/focused, take it one step and one day at a time. Focus on living not dieing, on what one can do not what one can't do. Live as normal a life as possible. Research, research and more research- KNOWLEDGE is the key. Plenty of members here who have far outlive there prognoses, still have a life and it is doable. Hope this helps, prayers for the best.

Rich

Hi Barb

I am just at the very beginning of possible lung cancer and will know more shortly. Am a 4 year survivor of prostate cancer, so have some idea what you are feeling as my wife, Inez and I have felt the same way, particularly at the beginning. Please keep in touch with this support group as I can only tell you that without the support that this support group and the prostate support group has shown my wife and I, am doubtful we would be able to cope as well as we have. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Try to stay as positive as you can and never give up.

Barb,

Every day you and your husband are togeher you are making memories. You don't need to go somehwere else to "make memories."

If you think the doctors are writing your husband off you can get a second (or third or fourth) opinion. Do you have a comprehensive cancer hospital that you can take your husband to? It doesn't have to be in the same town. You can visit the doctors there to decide on treatment and they can administer the chemo and/or radiation locally.

Susan

Barb...my wife, Inez and I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. I am a prostate cancer survivor and now they have found a nodule in my lung, so will have to wait and see what this is all about. The love and care of our support groups, both this group and my prostate cancer group have kept us going and have helped us be as positive as we can and to maintain as much hope as we can. Enjoy each day to the best of your ability, keep in touch with family, friends and the support group and please, do not give up. Inez and I have done a lot of crying, but always wind up hugging and kissing, which really keeps us going. Hug and kisses to you both...you can never get enough.