My Mother's death from lung cancer

cheryl.morton

My name is Cheri. I lost my beloved mother to lung cancer two years ago. When it was diagnosed it was stage three. My father found an oncologist from a friend he met at the gym. I begged him over and over again to take her to a cancer hospital to get other opinions, but he refused. I could not intervene because he was her husband. She might have died anyway, but now we will never know because he took the easy way out. He also never told her that she was dying, but I knew that she knew. In my heart I will never be able to forgive him. My Mom and I always talked quietly about things but we always skirted around the subject of her death. I will always regret that. What I need to say is, always get other opinions, do research, and always talk to your loved one truthfully. I was holding my Mom's hand when she passed away in a hospice room at the hospital. I like to believe that she knew that. I can never say enoufg wonderful things about the care given at the hospice. At least I knew she died peacefully and without pain. I miss her every day of my life. I would like to know why more research isn;t being done to cure lung cancer "the forgotten cancer". One never hears about walks for lung cancer, for example. Because it is so difficult to detect this disease so many people are dying from it, and perhaps for no reason. I would like to volunteer in any capacity that I can. Thank you for taking the time to read my stoyy

Cheri Morton

cheryl.morton@comcast.net

i

Welcome Cheri. I am so sorry for your loss. Many of us here are working hard to get out the word re Lung Cancer. I hope you looked up the topic "Events". Here in Minnesota we have had something every year for many years, 2 years at the state capital, at my city hall and the next year at our Mall. The past couple of years with Lungevity walks are starting to pop up all over the country. The more people like yourself that will help, we will get the word out.

DonnaG

Welcome Cheri--

Sorry to hear about your mom but glad you found us. If you are looking to make a difference the LUNGevity Foundation has numerous events across the country.

Since its inception in November 2000, the Foundation has committed to co-funding more than $3.7M in innovative lung cancer research projects at the foremost cancer programs in America. The LUNGevity Foundation partners with the American Cancer Society Illinois Chapter, American Lung Association, American Thoracic Society, Goldman Philanthropic Partnerships, and The CHEST Foundation (the philanthropic arm of the American College of Chest Physicians) to make its research awards.

We are doing another walk here in Boston (http://www.bostonlungcancerwalk.com) our second. Last year we raised over 120,000 (and almost 600 walkers showed up to participate) for lung cancer research.

We need more people to step up to the plate nation wide. I would check out the LUNGevity website @ http://www.lungevity.org and give them a call if you are interested in getting involved.

Rich

Hi Cheri,

I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom and the agony that you feel over everything.

There ARE walks. I'm doing one here in Los Angeles in November. Oddly enough, when I was searching for it on Google, I found that another lung cancer organization was hosting a walk right in my neighborhood on another upcoming weekend. They're certainly not in the spotlight, but they're out there.