My Dad, My Hero

karenlaureti

My Daddy - passed away on October 6th. I have lost the most special man in my life, but know he lives on in my heart. My father was cremated and we went out on a sunset cruise off of Hilton Head Island and sprinked his ashes. We then had 25 dolphins come up and ride along side the boat out of nowhere. It was beautiful. Thank you all for your support during my fathers illness. I still can't believe it was only 11 months that he had this horrible SCLC.

Ronald Thomas Smith, 69, loving husband and eternal friend of Renate Smith, died with his family by his side on October 6, 2007, in Bluffton, South Carolina. He was born, the son of Howard and Margaret Smith on December 16, 1937, in Allentown Pa. A devoted son, endearing husband and ever supportive father, Ron dedicated his life to his relationships and contributions to others. A vetran of the US Army, Ron furthered his education and graduated from Moravian University, the earned his Masters of Science at The University of Pennsylvania. He contributed as a professional in science for over 35 years at RCA Labs in Princeton, NJ and General Electric in Cincinnati, OH. His coworkers will remember him with great admiration for his service and duties as an employee and contributor to society. He is survived by his wife Renate Smith and children Christel Ann Brown, Karen Lee Laureti, Julia Margaret Schroeter and Steven Howard Smith. His 6 grandchildren are Morgan Alice Brown, Lauren Brown, Sara Rose Laureti, Andrew John Laureti, Keifer Thomas Smith, and Margaret Alicia Schroeter. He was loved and revered by his son in laws, Art Laureti, Donald Brown, Jerald Schroeter, and daughter in law, Angie Smith. A man of tremendous character and loving heart, he will be always remembered and cherished in our hearts. A memorial will be held at Low Country Presbytarian Church on Saturday, October 13, 2007 at 11 am. The family wishes to thank all that have been supportive of us during this time. We have all been blessed by Ron’s presence in our lives.

Karen,

I am so sorry to read of your Dad's passing. His obituary was a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man. May you and your family hold his memory close to your hearts during this most difficult time.

Remember to trust in the Lord to walk with you all through these difficult times.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I got chills when I read about the dolphins. I was just reading about the symbolic meaning of dolphins yesterday. This is what I found:

"The dolphin was an early symbol used by Christians. Because dolphins swim alongside boats, they can represent Christ who guides believers to heaven. Dolphins were also sometimes used to illustrate the story of Jonah, and that association makes the dolphin a symbol of the resurrection."

I wish for peace for you and your family.

OH Karen. I am so, so sorry to read your post. I cannot believe that this battle has ended for your dad. Cancer has robbed you of your daddy, and for that I am so, so angry. God's plan is sometimes just so hard to understand and to accept. Those dolphins, I am sure, were trying to tell you that your dad is now with peace, and the pain of cancer, will never again haunt him.

Eternal rest be granted unto him oh Lord, and may Your perpetual light shine upon him always. May he rest in peace.

Blessings for peace and hope Karen,

Jen