Introduction

mommadukes101

As I am looking around this site I can see that I have a long way to go in the education department. It is encouraging and at the same time discouraging because treatments seem so varied and complicated. So far my hubby's NSCLC is adenocarcinoma, probably StageIII. His tumor is in the upper left lung, very large, 8cm. He has a lot of pain, it is pressing against the side of the lung, his ribs I guess. On oxycodon for that. He goes tomorrow for PET scan and CT scan to check for any spread. He goes next Monday to get a port put in for chemo. We don't know any more as of now, doc said if there is no spread to other parts of the body he will get radiation also.

He said it is inoperable. My question is how do they determine that? it is large now, but what if it shrinks to half the size or less, can't they consider surgery at some point? And second question is: if we get a second opinion, do we just question treatment, or should we even question diagnosis?

Hello and welcome

The beginning of this journey is very confusing with so much information being tossed out at once. Please feel free to ask any and all questions here and know that someone will be along to help you with answers.

Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers to you

Christine

Welcome to the site. Second opinions are always good to get and most doctors encourage them. Sometimes they will operate if the tumor shrinks enough and there is no other reason not to operate. If it does shrink and they decide to operate, you may still want a second opinion at that time. There is nothing like having the most knowledge possible before making an important decision.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Welcome!

Don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion. Just because a tumor is inoperable that doesn't mean that it is untreatable. Frequently they won't operate because of the size or location of the tumor, or after it has spread to other parts of the body. If size is the problem, sometimes they can operate after they shrink it with chemo and radiation.

There are plenty to other treatments out there, so keep an open mind. If you have questions, be sure to ask.

Susan