New here, Mom has masses

bbogatz

A friend of mine gave me this website when she found out what I was going through. I'm hoping it can help me understand things so I don't feel the burden of bothering my mom about stuff.

I'm 27 years old, 7 months pregnant & my mom has masses in both lungs, liver, adrenal glands, lymph nodes & pelvic/back bone. We find out tomorrow what kind of LC it is because they did a liver biopsy last week while she was in the hospital with pneumonia. I'm sure it's probably worse than we hoped but I guess I will have to wait till tomorrow.

I'm scared as hell that she won't be around long enough to help me raise my daughter (her first grandchild) that she has been wanting since I married. Life without her will not be the same. I'm used to talking to her 2-3 times a day, EVERYDAY!!! I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I cry all the time when I'm alone & smile when I'm with her because I want her to see me happy, even though a part of me is dying inside. She's the last one to cry & has the best attitude out of all of us. I guess that is good for her. Sometimes I wish she would cry or be mad, but maybe that is her way of dealing right now.

Anyway, whoever reads this, THANKS! I needed this!

Welcome to a wonderful site. You will find lots of support here. I see that you responded to a post of mine on the Small cell area. Someone told me last year when I joined here that you will feel better once you have a plan of action (and we did) The emotions certainly run high but once your Mom starts doing better you will find that things take on a "new" normal.

Keep us posted on her results, stay positive, read her the positive stories on here. There are many survivors of this disease.

Dar

Hello and Welcome

I am so sorry you had reason to find a site like this but very glad your friend sent you to us.

The beginning of this journey is so crazy, so much happening and so much information being tossed at you all at once. Try and take a deep breath and take things one at a time. It is not easy, but as Dar pointed out, it will get better once you have the treatment schedule in place and have a course of action.

Please let us know how we can be of help and rest assured there is always someone here to lean on.

Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers to you, your Mom and that little bundle of joy that will soon be with you all.

Christine

Aren't our parents amazing!?!?!? My dad was just recently dx'd and we were supposed to hear either today or tomorrow (I guess tomorrow now since it is 6:15 pm) when his appoint. is to find out whether they will be able to do surgery. I am falling apart (when I am not around dad, of course) and dad is working and joking and feeling better than he has in the last 10 years. He says this is just a big life lesson that we are all going to be better people for, but he knows that something good is to come from all this no matter what the end result. I guess our parents never stop taking care of us no matter how old we get. I am finding a side of him that I didn't know was there and I am so proud to be his daughter.

Hang in there, you have found a great place to go to with questions, concerns, and a place to vent where people understand. I haven't been here long, and have been the queen of gloom and doom for the most part, but everyone still keeps me going. I wish you and your mom the best. Prayers to you and yours.

Teresa

Welcome to the site, sorry to hear about your Mom. There is a lot of good people here, let me phrase that, a lot of awesome people here that will be very happy to assist you in any way they can. The one thing you said is your Mom has a great attitude. That is a big part of the battle. Keep her spirits up and stay positive. All my best

Welcome to this forum!! This is the place to be! I only wish I had known about this site a year ago when I was diagnosed -it would have been so much easier. Your mom sounds like an awesome woman and hopefully you can gather strength from her. She obviously doesn't want you to be sad. You must stay positive with her - thats a big part of the battle with this disease and you must also stay healthy yourself for your baby.

Let us know as you know more information - you will find that the more you know from your doctor the easier it gets.

I will add you, your mom and your baby to my prayer line!

Patti B

Hi, welcome to this incredible site filled with hope, help and support. It is so scary in the beginning, but it does get easier when there is a plan and your mom can start treatment. My mom has done very well since her diagnosis...in fact she has felt so much better since starting treatment than she did the entire year before she was diagnosed. Hang in there and stay strong so you can help your mom fight this. Good luck with your new baby. That alone gives your mom something to fight for. Shelley

Take a deep breath. It is so easy to let the terror overwhelm you in the beginning. Once you know what you are dealing with and have a plan of action, it becomes a little easier. Once you know the type of cancer and the treatment plan, be sure to come back and ask any question you need to. Don't be afraid to get a second or even a third opinion if you need to. Your mother will need an advocate during this process, someone who can ask questions and help her with things she may be too overwhelmed or too tired to deal with. We'll be here to help you through this.

Susan