Porter Wagoner Has Lung Cancer

vespa68

I just read an article that Porter Wagoner is in serious condition and has lung cancer. I am so sad right now. I remember watching him and Dolly Parton on his show many years ago. I will be praying for him and his family. He is 80 years old, but that still seems very young in todays world. He is such a great entertainer. He is in my thoughts.

Dolly Parton has visited her former mentor Porter Wagoner in a Nashville, Tennessee hospital, and pledged to sing with him upon his return to the limelight.

The Jolene star - who is a frequent collaborator of Wagoner's - went to be by the country music icon's bedside on Friday, where he is battling for his life against an undisclosed ailment.

Parton, 61, urged Wagoner to keep fighting the illness so that they can grace the stage at the Grand Ole Opry together when he pulls through.

Jessie Schmidt, spokeswoman for the Opry, says: "(Parton) told him she'd be back to see him again, and would sing with him the first night he returns to the Grand Ole Opry.

"(He) had his wits (about him) and joked around."

Wagoner was hospitalised last year after suffering a stomach aneurysm.

Porter has been moved to Hospice. Here is the story.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 7710270358

Wagoner moves to hospice care

Country Music Hall of Famer Porter Wagoner, 80, was released to hospice care on Friday, a Grand Ole Opry spokeswoman announced.

Porter had been in an undisclosed Nashville-area hospital since Oct. 15, and it was announced on Sunday that he has been diagnosed with lung cancer. He has been visited by numerous Opry members and musical friends during the past week.

"On this day, when we are welcoming our newest member, Josh Turner, into the Opry family, our thoughts turn to our friend and Opry legend and Hall of Famer Porter Wagoner," says Opry chief Pete Fisher.

"He and his family are in our prayers," Pete said. "We wish them all much comfort during this difficult time."

Porter's last appearance on the Opry, which he joined in 1957, was Sept. 29.

I hope you'll say a prayer for Porter tonight at 8, which is when the big red curtain would be raised to signal the launch of his regular Opry segment.

If you would like to write some kind words to Porter, address it to him c/o Grand Ole Opry, 2804 Opryland Drive, Nashville, TN 37214.