One of my bad days.....

Guest hearrean

Guest hearrean

Just thought I would do a little venting. Seems like every other day or so, I get down in the dumps & frightened. I've already posted my original findings, etc. in this forum entitled Intoduction. Just to bring all current, I did go to MD Anderson in Houston for a second opinion & the Thoracic Surgeon told me during our initial consult that, looking at my CT scans I brought with me, he didn't know what I had. He actually seemed pretty optimistic at least compared to the original reading of the CT scan & my local Pulmonologist consultation with me. That's actually why I went To MD Anderson & got the 2nd opinion. So far at MD Anderson last week they have done a PFT, PET Scan & MRI/Brain Scan. I am scheduled to have a needle biopsy this next Monday (10/29). Even though the Doctor was optimistic this quite possibly is not cancer, I'm still having a difficult time dealing with the wait, etc. Particularly since my initial visit with my local Doctor (Pulmonologist) was so scary & he all but said that based upon the last CT scan, he felt it was lung cancer. And also since I was a long-time smoker, but quit 6 years ago. I really have had no symptoms (at least classic text-book symptoms). The way this started was that back in Dec.-Jan. I came down with a mild case of Pneumonia and the follow-up CT scans were to watch to make sure that was healing which it had shown to be. It's just that this last one (done about 3 weeks ago now) all of a sudden showed (2) masses in my upper right lung (Suprahilar region) which wasn't there just 3 months prior. I actually told my new Doctor (MD Anderson) that that was what scared me because if this wasn't there (3) months prior then either the previous radiologist mis-read or this was very aggressive. He told me that Cancer would not just come on that quick/fast. And again, the only symptom I have had has been the clearing of my throat quite a bit, but that has been going on for quite some time (better than a couple of years).

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I'm still afraid that the findings will be worst-case even though I know the MD Anderson Docs are supposed to be the best. And I don't mind admitting that I am still afraid of that day when we go back to Houston to see the Doc after he has all the tests & he gives me the news once & for all. Thanks for listening.....

Ken

Well, Ken, I sure hope it isn't cancer. Wouldn't that just be so great?!?!? But if it is, you will strap yourself in and get in combat mode. IF......and that is a BIG IF......it is cancer, you will get a plan of action and that will help with all the up in the air feelings you now have. You will have a game plan ~ and once executed things do settle down.

But all that is in the 'what if' category right now. I will just send you LOADS of positive vibes with the hopes that there will be nothing of any consequence found. Please keep us updated and allow us the opportunity to calm your fears.

Kasey

Ken, the docs at MD Anderson are very good and you are at the right place for diagnosis and treatment. This is a very stressful time and we all understand that. I send the very best wishes for you. Please continue to keep us posted and don't ever worry about 'long winded posts' that's what we're here for. Good Luck & God Bless

wendyr

Ken,

In some ways the waiting is worse than the actual knowing. I'll be praying that your news is the best--no cancer. But if it goes the other way know that we will be here for you. There are plenty of good treatment options and we will stand with you through the fight.

Susan

Sounds as if you might get some GOOD news back on those results.

Everyone here knows how terribly hard the waiting is though, so don't feel alone in being scared of it. It's awful to go thru.

Please let us know what they say. I'll be saying a prayer for you!

Nova

Ken~

waiting sux, no doubt about it, xanax helps, no doubt about it. I'm hoping for scary lungs. I clear my throat also, kind of like excussssssse me! My Doc, says it is post nasel drip w/ clearing. Dont beat yourself up on the smoking thing, many of us been there done that, got the tee shirt, and were suvivors :wink: keep your posts comming, we want to know how it goes on the 29th. Mary

Guest hearrean

Well, today I went over to MD Anderson & met with the Interventional Radiology group in preparation for Monday's Needle Biopsy. They certainly are thorough in explaining everything & exactly how the procedure will go. The P/A told me that I will be given an IV sedation & a drug similiar to what they give for a Colonoscopy. In other words, she said the only thing I will feel will be the initial local shot to deaden the area where the needle will be inserted. But after then the sedate will take hold & although I will be conscious, I won't have any dis-comfort & the Radiologist will be able to talk to me, etc.

She also told me something that I didn't know. Keep in mind I don't know what my PET Scan results are from the 17th yet are, but if the (2) suspicious masses which showed up on my CT scan from 3 weeks ago did show up as hot spots from the PET Scan, the P/A told me that didn't necessarily mean it was cancer. She said that infection/inflammation, etc. could show up as hot. Hopefully she wasn't just trying to make me feel better, but she did say that only the Needle Biopsy will tell them for certainty. Just thought I'd share this & today's activity.

Ken