How long will it take for hair to grow back after PCI

Guest SoniaD

I posted here back in August regarding preventitive brain radiation. My Mom finished her last treatment the end of August and she still does not

has any hair growth. I was wondering how long it took for others peoples hair to grow back after this treatment. Thank you.

Sonia, Hello i finished PCI on sept. 30 I have lost all of my hair with the exception of some growth in the the back and on the back of my neck. My radiation oncologist warned me that my hair loss may be permanent. Not all of my hair, but it was possible that some of it would not grow back at all. In all honesty i underestimated the PCI and its side effects also. It burnt me pretty bad and to me was worse than the chest radiation. It also made the insides of my ears very sore. Plus now i have got considerable shaking or hand tremors if you will. Im not quite sure there has been enough studies done on this yet to properly gauge the side effects better. I dont know if this helps any or not but tell your mom to hang in there her situation might be different with her hair growing back.

Regards

Greg

I finished PCI in May. I just now have full head growth about 1/4 inches long. I was blond, but my new hair is----I'm not sure. It is kinda gray-brown. A very wierd color. But I will take it for what it is and be glad to have it !! I can't wait for it to be long enough to trim and actually style. Good luck all.

I just wanted to thank those that were able to reply. It seems that every since my Mom has had PCI she's not the same person. She was doing so well after completing the chemo and radiation to the lung. Then they said she should get this PCI done and it's been kinda down hill now. She once was this positive spunky woman and now she is a very down negative woman. I try and do everything to get her out and about and she would rather lay on the couch. One of the things that was bothering her is not having hair for so long. She said she feels ugly and not feminine. So I thought I could give her some hope. You would think that the cancer being gone would be enough but I guess not. I just want her to be happy.

Thanks again,

Sonia

Sonia, maybe your mom thinks she is ugly and not feminine that she has no mood to go out and just sitting on the couch instead. Maybe bring her to buy a good-looking hair, she will feel better !!????

Greg, my Dad also has the ear sore after PCI, he also feels a bit annoying about all hair loss (except a little bit remain at the back near the neck) after PCI that he finally shaved all. These 2 side effects are with him now and hope this is the end. :)