Contrast during a CT scan

Christine

In April 2005 a lung screening CT showed I had a couple of small nodules (2mm & 3 mm). Each follow-up scan I had was taken without contrast.

So... my question is, should I ask for my final scan to be with contrast, and in your experience, does it really make a difference in what is actually seen on the scan?

I've always (ordered by my oncologists / I did not have a preference, left it up to her what was best) had my Ct Scans with contrast. My understanding is they use contrast to better illuminate structures being scanned and of course varies from person to person. I would ask the doctor why no contrast to put your mind at ease.

Colleen's always used contrast, even when it was nearly impossible to get it down they made her use it. They said it just allows things to show up better. She laughs now cause she show up for the scans and chugs the two bottles in 5 minutes flat and says let's go. Just like it was a beer or something that's how used to it she's gotten.

I work for a scheduling dept. for a hospital. I schedule ct's for lung cancer patients daily, and 99% are done w/contrast. Usually IV contrast. Better picture of nodules etc.

I just wanted to add that I don't do contrast because of the dye- I am allergic to it. I have been told that although contrast does make things clearer, it is really done primarily to make it easier for the radiologist to read- in reality, they can read it just as well without contrast, they just have to look a little longer and more thoroughly. Not sure if its true or not, but I was told this both by a doctor and a CT tech on 2 different occasions.