Not what we wanted to hear

cjolaw

Well, my mom's scan results are in... more and larger nodules in the lung, fluid increasing, adrenal gland enlarged (what does this mean?) I understand what the adrenal gland is, but does englarged mean "suspected mets???" I understand it is a common place for the cancer to spread to? Anyone have any experience with that?

Onc suggested either Tarceva or gemzar plus carboplatin... any thoughts out there????

Carrie

Sorry to hear about mom. My Adrenal Glands where (does not necessarily mean mets) enlarged for a while at the beginning, we just keep an eye (Ct Scans) on them and so far no problems to speak of with them. I had Tarceva and Gemzar/Carbo. My preferences would be Tarceva-- comes in pill form, take it once a day, no trips to the doctors for treatments etc, blood counts less likely to be affected. Side effects (Tarceva) vary but are manageable for the most part. Mine where rash (2 or 3 months) but it went away by itself and the runs, lowered the dosage from 150 to 100 and that cleared it up. Also no problems with Gemzar/Carbo. But in the long run I would ask the doctor which treatment they thought would be the best for mom. Hope this helps, prayers for the best.

Carrie,

I cannot be of any help on the Gemzar combo, but I have been on Tarceva for the last 20 months and have good results.

I think that the Gemzar/carbo approach is a little more agressive than the Tarceva route. While everyones disease and diagnosis is different, I personally would try the gemzar/carbo route first if your mom can handle it. If the gemzar/carbo doesn't work, you can also try Tarceva next.

Good luck with whatever treatment plan your mom chooses. Keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

Wendy

Carrie:

I have had 2 prior chemos, which did not work, so my next choice would be tarceva. My oncologist thinks it is a good choice. Fortunately for me, I don't have progression at the moment due to my recent cyberknife treatment, but if it starts growing again, I will go on tarceva.

Don M

Oh Carrie,

I am so sorry to read your post. I know this has been a battle for you and your family. I hope you know I continue to keep you in my prayers, though I haven't called in ages.

I know nothing about these chemos, but it appears there has been some good advice given here.

Let me know how things are going. Of course, feel free to call anytime.

Blessings,

Jen