Sad Update

Adrian

Friends--

I wanted to let you know where we are in our journey at the moment. On Monday, our oncologist stopped by our house (what an amazing guy!) because my dad was simply to weak to go to his appt. He said that my dad was significantly dehydrated and needed to be admitted to the hospital. After arranging for a private room for my dad and ambulance transport, we headed over.

Yesterday, after running tests, our doctor said that he believes that the Tarceva is not working. Since October 4th, my dad's CEA levels have gone from 400 to 800. While we know that CEA measures are pretty crude--that combined with all of his symptoms leads him to think that it is probably time to stop treatment.

My dad has said several times over the past few days that he feels so weak and doesn't think he can continue like this. The IV hydration isn't helping much. We are fortunate in that he is not in significant pain (although he says he feels an ache in his chest).

Our oncologist feels that my dad's cancer is incredibly aggressive. Given his amazing health prior to this illness, it is hard to believe that we could be going down this path after only six months. But my dad has fought hard--and I know that he loves us so much, that if it were at all possible to stay here, he would.

Yesterday, we sat together for five hours just holding hands. It is hard for him to talk. And while I am just so incredibly sad, it gave me tremendous peace just to be with him.

I am so sad, so terribly sad, and so shocked that we may lose him so quickly. My dad is one of the gentlest, kindest, and funniest souls to walk the earth. As everyone who meets him says, he is truly one of the most special humans you will ever encounter. While I feel that life is so unfair at the moment, I am reminded of how lucky I am to have my dad as my dad.

This community's strength and kindness has really been one of the few lifesavers we've had through this journey.

Many thanks,

Leslie (posting as Adrian because of a computer glitch)

I'm sorry, Leslie. My sister went through a similar situation, and it is hard to see them suffer. She was a fighter also, and didn't give up til the very end. We had some really great talks over those last few days. I hope your Dad gets to feeling better and y'all can talk. The fluids finally did kick in for Beverly, and she did feel a little better, but it seemed to take a couple of days.

Take care of yourself and keep in touch.

Love,

Bobby

Leslie and Adrian,

It just breaks my heart to read this news. I've been in la-la land and hadn't realized things were moving in this direction for your dear Father. I'm so sorry and wish there was some way to make this time less hurtful for the two of you.

I will pray for more time and other options, but if God has other plans, please know how very strong the two of you have been for your Father. Your love and care for your Dad is so very apparent. For as many accolades as you heap on him for who he is (and quite a guy!), the apples didn't fall far from the tree. Stay strong my young friends and may God be with all of you during this difficult time.

Feel free to contact me at anytime.

Much love and hugs,

Debi

Hello everyone,

dad is still with us, but we've been told, and it is apparent, that we are in a "days" time frame. His breathing is declining by the day. He is slightly agitated, but not in considerable pain. We only hope that this happens as peacefully as possible. Thank you all for your continued support. Didn't think we'd be here so soon, but here we are.

Adrian

I am so, so sorry, I just went through this on October 6th. It is just so incredibly hard. I never went through anything so hard. Tell him how much you love him a lot and give him a lot of kisses! With my Dad, an evident sign was his hands became incredibly cold and his breathing was very shallow. I am sure they will make sure he is not in pain. May god give you continued strength!