Official diagnosis....

Guest hearrean

Guest hearrean

Well, I met with with my MD Anderson Doc (Thoracic Surgeon) this AM & my mass is cancer. I asked what type & he said Large Cell. This surprised me because of all the reading I've been doing, I haven't heard of that type lung cancer. He did say it was a form/variety of NSCLC.

As you can imagine, I thought of all kinds of questions I wished I had asked while there like staging, etc. But I did ask what areas were affected & he said the (2) masses in the upper right lobe & (2) mediastinal lymph nodes. Actually he said the (2) masses he wouldn't even classify as (2) but rather (1) because of how close together they are. MY MRI Brain Scan was negative.

He indicated he was referring me to one of their Thoracic Oncologist to set up a program of (3) months of Chemo & then back to him for surgery to remove the mass + the lymph nodes.

Now I don't know if he was just trying to make me feel better or not, but he told me flat out that this was curable! He did tell me I would need to exercise a minimum of (1) hour per day & keep a positive outlook, etc.

He is also scheduling an Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS) to biopsy the lymph nodes before we start the chemo. This is done under general anestheia. As a matter of fact by the time I got home, the Pumonology group (who does the procedure) had already called to schedule this procedure for next Tuesday.

Well, this is what I know so far & wanted to share with everyone. Has anyone else had this Endobronchial procedure and/or have any comments on the Doc's diagnosis?

Ken

Ken,

Large cell is just another variant of non-small, but occurs a little less often than adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma. As far as I know, the treatment approach would be the same - more dependent upon stage and location factors than on cell type.

I think it's great that your brain scan was clean, and that your doctor is hoping to do surgery down the line. Both are positive factors.

Believe in your doctors optimism, and get ready to give it your all. Now that you have a diagnosis and an action plan, you can start beating this thing into oblivion.

MC

I had my eye out for your post, Ken. It seems like a little bit of a mixed bag......was hoping to hear it wasn't cancer at all. But since it is, the doc sounds very optimistic, so you should be too. Now you have a dx, a plan will be executed, your doc is on top of things and talking about surgery. I'd say all in all, things are okay. Now let's get on with it, huh?!

Kasey

Hey, Ken, that sounds pretty good to me! Wanna trade? And it doesn't have to be an even trade -- I'll give you $50 under the table!

Seriously, this is what I meant in my other response by "mixed results and very treatable." If a thoracic surgeon at MD Anderson says your condition is potentially operable and curable, he's not saying that just to make you feel better. Spend some time reading our members' profiles, and after the initial cancer shock sinks in I think you'll realize you were very fortunate that it was detected early.

Aloha,

Ned

I agree with the fact that the Doc isn't just saying this to make you feel good. What he said is a powerful POSITIVE statement and he sounds like a GREAT doctor to me. :wink:

One of my in person Lung Cancer Support Group members is a Large Cell LC Survivor and has been a survivor for 8 years now and is STILL cancer FREE!

The types of Nonsmall Cell Lung Cancer are:

Adenocarcinoma, Squamous Carcinoma (or epidermoid carcinoma) and Large Cell Carcinoma.

We're here for you Ken. Hang on tight, it can be a bumpy ride, but it IS DOABLE and BEATABLE! :wink:

Hi Ken, It sounds like you have a wonderful Dr. that is ready to fight this with you. The fact that they are planning to do surgery is HUGE! I wish my mom had been able to have surgery for her cancer, but it was too advanced by the time of her diagnosis. Keep eating well, pushing the fluids and exercise as much as you can. All will help you with your treatments and recovery from surgery. I know you can beat this! Shelley

Guest hearrean

Since I had forgotten to ask my MD Anderson Doc about my staging, I posted my diagnosis on Dr. West's board & he responded (based upon my Doctor's findings) that my stage is probably IIIa N2. I looked this up & it certainly doesn't sound like it has a very good prognosis. Am I paying too much attention to stats?

Ken

Ken,

Most everyone here will tell you not to pay ANY attention to the statistics. Stats are numbers, in many cases outdated. You are an individual, not a number. Keep the postive thoughts and lose the negative ones. We are all here to help you do just that.

Hugs

Christine

Ken I am a Stage IIIB and there are MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY SURVIVORS Out here just like me.

My Friend who has/had Large Cell LC is an 8+ year survivor and is a STAGE IV! Yes, Stage IV! Her cancer had spread to her EYE. She had chemo, radiation surgery and she is CANCER FREE TODAY! As Am I!

Put the Stats AWAY! Stand AWAY FROM THE (OUT DATED STATS)! :wink:

Guest hearrean

Wow! What a forum & what wonderful folks you all are. I love this forum so much that I have removed all the other (LC) forums from my favorites list. These are the types of things I need to hear, particularly since my head is still spinning from yesterday's official diagnosis & I find myself getting down in the dumps very easily. It seems just like a roller coaster ride with all the emotions I've been experiencing lately.

So thanks so much for all the kind words and encouragement. I have a wonderful wife & she's by my side during all of this, but I know I can't do this without all of you. You all are truly great individuals!!

Ken

Ken

Ken,

Skip the stats. Aim to be above average. I was diagnosed T2N2M0, stage IIIa, in January, 2003. I had adenocarcinoma, the most common form of non-small cell.

If a doctor at MD Anderson says you're curable, believe that. My MD Anderson consult wasn't nearly that warm and fuzzy, so I'm pretty sure the doctor would not have had a problem telling you the odds were dismal if they were.

Stop reading stats until you get your brain around the whole thing and get your attitude set right. You don't want to lose the mental battle before you even begin. Talk to your doctor about sleep aids and anti-anxiety medication. You need to sleep and sometimes you need help with keeping the monsters in your head quiet. Xanax seems to tune them out, then an Ambien/Lunesta to aid the Sand Man and it's off to Dreamland.

Best of luck to you, hang in there!

Becky