Horrible treatment in hospital

Barbb

I am so angry. Today Rod had a bone scan which went fine, the people were nice and treated him with much care. Then he had to have an x-ray. As soon as the tech came in to help him with his gown, at his request, she was mean. Rod has bad leg and lower back pain so it is very painful to lie down on a hard surface. The tech didn't care, she said she could not put anything under him or under his knees to make him more comfortable. Then she started trying to get him into the proper position, well with the pain he just couldn't do it or hold it. She was pushing and pulling him across the table, turning his legs this way and that ending up laying across one leg and holding the other where she wanted it. He told her how much it hurt, she didn't care. He said he nearly cried. There was a younger woman there who didn't say anything but appeared embarrassed.

I am angry also at myself for not being there. He will never go anywhere for treatment alone again. Rod got the tech's name and the head of the department will be hearing from me.

Can I demand to be in the room while they prepare him for x-rays? I'll be checking name tags to be sure she isn't doing them. Wow, it feels better to write this. Imagine how much better it will feel to write to her boss !!!!!!

Barb

Barb,

That's awful. My husband had some bad experiences too. Some medical people simply shouldn't be in the field they're in.

Yes, I don't see any reason why you can't be there during the prep time and step out when they take the x-ray. Especially when you tell them why.

Barb,

I agree with Teri. I have stayed in the room, both with my husband and with my Mother, and stepped out so they can take the shot as needed. With my Mom, I have even worn a lead apron if needed, and remained for the images to be taken. I feel that there is little need for anyone to suffer under these conditions. If you need to simply decline the procedure until someone else can do it - you have that right. Our job as caretakers is to eliminate suffering and to stand up for our loved ones. I'm so sorry that you and Rod had to go through this. MC

Barb

This is just so sad. I would call the hospital administrator and make sure that they are fully aware of the way Rod was treated. It is just unacceptable! I'd be on the phone to them as well as putting it in writing. Nobody deserves to be put in more pain, especially in this manner!!!

I am so sorry this happened. I see no reason why they would not let you stay with him next time. The hospital I was in recently allowed my husband to stay with me through all the testing, although I was not having x-rays and am not a cancer patient, I did have several ultrasounds, a CT scan as well as a hydascan (I had a radioactive material injected into me and then was watched via CT scan as the material was processed through my system) which was over 2 hours. There was never any question about his leaving or staying, nobody had any problem with it at all. I think most hospitals are very understanding about this.

Again, I am so sorry you and Rod have had to go through this added stress.

Warmly

Christine

Barb,

I'm so sorry this happened to Rod. It's just totally wrong and you have every right to demand better. Do speak up and don't hesitate on insisting to be with him. Unfortunately , you have to let them know that they won't get away with that kind of abuse. There are good and bad people in all professions. Hope you won't have any more experiences like this one.

Sue

Barb,

I needed some x-rays lately

for my back pain.

I never had so much pain than

when they took them, my back

was slammed on the hard cold table

my yell was heard from far away,

very far away...

But at least they explained to me

that the pain they were putting me

through was necessary for them to

get the x-rays as clear as they could,

they showed their compassion when

it needed four people to try to get

me up again.

Hope this explain a bit their attitude.

Jackie

Thank you so much for replying. I will be on the phone tomorrow, that is a good idea. It makes me sick to my stomach to think of a helpless person being in this situation. What if it were someone with no one to stand up for them? How sad.

I'll post the responses I receive.

Barb

Barb, again - I'm SO sorry you had to go through this. It's at least as hard on the caretaker as it is on the patient, and I know that.

Be brave and stand up for him and for yourself. If you don't feel right, it's probably not right.

Just so you know, I am in Nebraska (Omaha) too. If I can help you in any way, please IM me and I will give you my phone number.

You be brave and stand up for your guy, and simply insist on only the best care. IM if you would like to!

Mary Colleen

Barb -

Just noticed this post - sorry I missed it earlier.

There is absolutely NO reason whatsoever why anyone should be treated that way!! You have every right - and responsibility - to report that tech!! If you did it by phone, please also send a written note so that hopefully it will be put in her permanent record!! I had a bad experience with a PA at Cleveland Clinic and I told my onc and - zing- she's not my PA anymore!! I have always said that we have to be our own best advocate when it comes to medical care!!!

And also, there is no reason why you can't be in the room until he is ready to have the x-ray taken - when my brother dislocated his shoulder, they put a metal shield on me and made me stay in there to help hold up his arm!!

Let us know how the hospital responds and best of luck to you and your husband!

Patti B.