Diagnosis revision....

Guest hearrean

Guest hearrean

Well, I went back to MD Anderson today to meet with the Pulmonologist who will be doing the EBUS on Monday. He actually sat with me & showed me my PET Scan & CT in detail & explained everything he would be doing during the procedure which will be checking the lymph nodes.

Something which somewhat concerned me (which my Thoracic Surgeon didn't tell me yesterday) was that yes, my diagnosis is Large Cell but there's something add'l to the description as follows: Large Cell with Neuroendocrine feature. There was an added description of 2 station R4 positive, T4N2MO.

Any way, the Pulmonologist said that the Neuroendocrine part meant that it was actually similiar to Small Cell, but hadn't crossed over to that. When I got home I looked up Neuroendocrine & it scared me because the write-ups about it's prognosis doesn't sound so good. Even on Dr. West's site, he talks about it and doesn't talk favorably about prognosis.

Ken

Ken in my opinion, any kind of cancer is very bad to have when it's YOU that is being dx.d! None of them have an outstanding track record. Cancer is cancer. Some are worse then others, some aren't so bad, but the real fact here is EVERYONE REACTS DIFFERENLY TO TREATMENTS, because ALL OF OUR DNA'S ARE DIFFERENT!

Once again I need to remind you in the early stages (footsteps) of your journey, (some things are better left UNREAD)! We ALL know the bad sides to being a cancer patient. Look and listen for he GOOD SIDE, the POSITIVE SIDE, THE ++++'s. That's what you need to focus on right now. Pay attention to those that have beat the odds, or those that are fighting AND ARE BEATING THE ODDS! There really are a LOT OF US OUT HERE.

It's great to have knowledge about cancer and it's treatments, but there really are some things that should be left to the doctor to worry about. Some times it's nice to let the doctor carry the load for a while.

This journey is BABY STEPS, each and every day it's baby steps.

Your in my thoughts and prayers.

Hi Ken, Listen to Connie. Doctors don't know everything. They are only here to facilitate our recovery, but it is our bodies that repair and heal.

I always thought of it as a threefold attack. We have the medicine, our body's natural ability to heal and then there's God. He has a little something to do with it too. :)

Remember, this is the same medical community that prescribed VIOXX just a few years ago. They make mistakes too.

Barb

Just because it has neuroendocrine features does not necessarily make it large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma.

There are other less aggressive types such as a carcinoid and atypical carcinoid, so I would ask the Dr about that.

You can google carcinoid and get some info.

Also some people who are treated with small cell chemos respond really well

Good luck.

Hi!

My husband had that diagnosis and his tumors responded wonderfully well to chemo.

Don't over think this.

One step at a time

Work the outline given you by your doc and trust your body.

Everyone is different.

No one knows the future.

You can do this and we are here to help

P

Guest hearrean

Thank you all for all the encouraging posts. Believe me, I need it! My emotions are all over the place right now & I'm having a hard time with all of this. I just need some good news. I'm sure though it's no different than all of you have been through & going through. My 1st visit with the MD Anderson Oncologist will be this next Monday (11/12) & I guess I'll be told then what will happen next. Thank you again for all the support.

Ken

Ken: I would assume that the treatment plan is going to work.... shrinkage and then surgery.

Also, my 3rd cancer was not noticed until Feb 2005. I had an August, 2004 scan and the cancer was there then, but the radiologist missed it. My pulmonolgist showed me where it was when I visited him in February. He said it is very easy to see a missed cancer 3 months later when you know where to look for it on the film. My cancer was about 7 mm when it was missed.

Don M