Revlon Walk/Run

SandyS

Guest DaveG

Here is my suggestion on how to deal with Revlon - hit them right in sales. I am proposing a boycott of Revlon products. Yes, we may have only 250 members, but how many family members, spouses, or siblings, children, etc. are there out there. If each one of us, plus all our friends, family members, etc, were to boycott Revlon we could, potentionally cost them millions of dollars in sales. Go beyond just those I have mentioned so far, talk it up at the Oncology, surgical, medical, and health clinics. This could potentionally grow into hundreds of thousands of people. We are then talking millions of dollars in lost sales.

Revlon apparently does not believe the numbers, nor do they believe what this disease is costing the United States each year. Not only should you bycott Revlon, but write them and tell them why.

Lung Cancer is the number one health issue in the United States today. It is going to get worse, and will continue to get worse, as long as companies such as Revlon continue to bury their collective heads in the sand and continue to refuse recognition of lung cancer as the number one health issue in the United States today.

Stop and think about this for a moment: the are 58,000 names on the Vietnam War Memorial. The Vietnam War spanned over 14-15 years. Now look at the number of Americans who die of Lung Cancer each year. It is almost 3 times the number of names on the Vietnam War Memorial, and that is only in one year!!!!!!

How many more years will it be before there are 200,000 deaths due to lung cancer. I have seen projections that it will be 2005 or 2006, less than 3 years from now. That means that between the years of 2000 and 2005, the United States will have lost approximately 1,000,000 lives due to lung cancer. How many more lives do we have to lose? How many more good people in the prime of their lives are going to be diagnosed with this disease, before there is a cure? How many more families are going to be devastated by the loss of a father or mother with school age children?

When we start hitting major corporations such as Revlon, in the pocket book, then we will get their attention. We can not sit idlely by and let this happen. We have the power in shear numbers. We MUST make them sit up and take notice. :evil::evil::evil::evil:

Guest DaveG

Tiny and to everyone else:

Yes you may copy all of, or parts thereof, and forward to the "Revlon Lady". I don't think Revlon really understands the numbers involved with lung cancer. I certainly encourage all the women involved with LCSC to write and boycott Revlon products. Also encourage your friends to do likewise.

In the 18 months since my diagnosis, I have had two close friends die of lung cancer. I have gone to both funerals. When you sit through a funeral of a person who died of the same disease that you have, you shudder, because one never knows whether they are next. I know that I will probably have to sit through more funerals, but I would certainly like to live to see the day when one wouldn't have to sit through those funerals. The memory of these two friends is what drives me to do what I am doing.

I did tell the woman in my e-mail that I had purchased my last Revlon product and would ask everyone I know to do the same. If everyone sends a note asking the people in their address book to write her and to boycott the products and to pass it to everyone in their address book, well hey, as my kids say, "do the math." She'll have hundreds of e-mails and lost customers.

I have wrote an email from comprised of dave email and some stats that any of you may borrow. i just sent it to people i know.

Revlon has made a decision not to include lung cancer organizations as beneficiaries for proceeds of their upcoming Women's Cancer Run/Walk in Central Park on May 3. Their rationale was that they were only supporting "women's cancers." Without being judgmental, the folks at Revlon are most likely ill informed, or are informed and do not want to touch lung cancer because of the stigma. Lung cancer is the #1 woman killer of all the cancers. The #1 woman killer is not a woman cancer issue? On top of this there is very poor funding for Lung Cancer Research (per death, breast cancer receives about nine times more). In 2002, the projected number of deaths do to lung cancer is 156,000 Americans; of this there are 89,200 men and 65,700 women. In comparison, there are projected 39,000 women died of breast cancer. For far too many years the smoking issue has stigmatized lung cancer. People who have lung cancer are constantly faced with this issue "We brought it on ourselves". Lung Cancer is not an "exclusive" cancer. More than 50% of the 170,000 Americans diagnosed with lung cancer in 2002 were non-smokers.

Since Revlon has chosen to ignore this as a "women's cancer” please boycott any Revlon products until they include lung cancer groups as a beneficiary for the run/walk, However PLEASE donate to this great cause! Sponsor a walker or donate what you can. In no way do we want to take away from the event or the progress ovarian and breast cancer research has made, we only hope in years to come lung cancer research has the same sponsorship. Please pass this along to anyone you know.

Karma,

GREAT letter! I especially liked the last paragraph about continuing to donate and support the causes of breast and ovarian cancer...kept the letter from sounding like "sour grapes" and put you and LC in a positive and generous light. (I'm afraid my letters didn't come off that way because I was mad as hops when I wrote them...wasn't feeling particulary generous. Oh, well....). :roll:

Thanks for sharing.

Guest Tammi

I was one of the people who wrote to Christine McBride. She received many emails. The person who called for emails originally forwarded Christine's reply. She had several points that I wanted to bring to your attention:

1. She works for the company that coordinates the run, not Revlon. She suggested people contact Revlon directly.

2. She is personally supportive of lung cancer issues. She felt that she was being unfairly attacked in many of the emails.

3. A race newsletter sent to 45,000 participants will feature a woman lung cancer survivor. She said each person who sent her emails will also recieve a copy of this newsletter.

I wanted to bring this to everyone's attention.

Thanks for the info Tammi. Has anyone found the email to contact Revlon directly? I will fire off another boycott letter once it is posted.

Faylene