Another test

Need some info on what this next test is that dad needs. He had his second bronchoscopy last week because they couldn't get a positive from his first one on thelymph node that is hot on the PET scan. Last week the pulm. said that he got 7 GREAT biopsies and they would have all the answers they needed from that, staging, etc. Told dad not to worry...no more tests will be needed. Guess what...we need another test because all of these biopsies came back neg in the lymph node. Now mom said they want to do a test where they go behind the breast bone to get a biopsy. Can anyone tell me what this is called and anything they can about the procedure and if it is an outpatient kind of surgery or not. Also, the whole point, they are telling us, for wanting to know whether the lymph node is positive or not is so they will know whether or not dad will need chemo or radiation before they remove the right upper lobe. (everything contained inside the right lung). If they do this next test and while they are doing the procedure will they be able to tell them whether there is cancer or not? If there is not any in the lymph node can they go ahead at that time and do the surgery to remove the right lobe? DAd has been put thru so much, just trying to find out whether he has cancer or not that I am beginning to think we will never make it to the treatment stage. Thanks for any input.

I'm no doctor...

But I would think it they are going in behind the breast bone maybe they are going to do a ct guided needle biopsy?

Any needle biopsy (if that's what it is) is a little more involved than a bronchoscopy...you run a risk of a collapsed lung, but again, I don't know that THIS is the procedure.

I know the testing phase is frustrating, but it is well worth it. The more the Drs know going in the better off everyone will be because the proper treatment course will be followed.

I would direct your questions to Dr West or maybe even phone your Dad's doctor and inquire with him.

I do hope that all of the testing is completed soon so treatment, if needed, can begin. Sending prayers that it will prove to be anything but cancer.

Keep us posted and wishing you all the best,

Christine

I would def. ask the doctor about this. it could be a needle biopsy, or it could be more invasive. I know my mom had a 'spot' on the PET that could only be reached by full-on surgery, so they watched and waited. eventually, another spot cropped up that they *could* reach, and it was a recurrance of her NCSLC. the first spot turned out to be cancer, as well.

Are they possibly talking about a mediastinascopy? They sample lymph nodes in the center of the chest (behind the breastbone) via an incision at the notch in your collarbone. Just a thought, I really don't know, but it sounds like that.

Cindy

Thank you all for your replies. The mediastinoscopy, after reading up on it, sounds like what is being done. Dad called last night and said he is scheduled for a pre-op appt. this Thursday, and then his surgery is scheduled for Nov. 16. Said it should take about an hour and he will be able to come home several hours after surgery if no complications. He was promised (again) that this is the last possible test that can be done, that there is nothing left to do but this to try and get a sample of that lymph node. Please pray for my father and for the surgeons. My dad is to the point of emotional exhaustion after all this testing and the months it has taken. However; at the same time I am so very proud of how strong he is thru all of this. Just please continue to pray for us.

Teresa