I'M A NEWCOMER

Guest cecilia

Guest cecilia

HI, MY 72 YR OLD NON SMOKING MOTHER WAS DX WITH NSCLC ON 10/7/03. SHE HAD 10 RADIATION TRTMTS TO HER BACK AS IT HAS SPREAD TO HER BONES. SHE HAS HAD ONE CHEMO SESSION. SHE HAS MUCH PAIN IN HER BACK AND ALSO HAS BACK SPASMS. BEFORE SHE STARTED TREATMENT SHE WAS HAVING BACK ACHE, BUT NOW IT IS UNBEARABLE. I'M WONDERING IF IT IS THE RADIATION THAT IS CAUSING THE PAIN. SHE CANNOT SIT BACK IN A CHAIR OR LAY DOWN ON HER BACK. SHE IS TAKING MORPHINE ALREADY. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE RADIATION CAN BE CAUSING ALL THE PAIN? THANKS.

Cecelia,

My experience with radiation caused absolutely no pain. I suspsect it is the disease.

When you say she is taking morphine, does this mean by mouth, every 4 to 6 hours?

I was in a lot of pain upon diagnosis, my Dr. managed it with long acting Duragesic patches and used morphine sulfate by mouth for breakthrough pain. Eventually, the dose of the patches was stabilized and was able to do away with the by mouth meds. Push your Mom's Dr's for pain management - pain has no purpose - except pain. Radiation can help tremendously with alleviating the pain, eventually, but in the meantime, some assistance will be needed and some time to enjoy the present.

By the way - welcome - sorry you have to be here, but this is a good group to bounce things off of. Everyone cares!

Blessed Be!

How is her Chemo going?

Hello, Cecilia,

Pleased to meet you despite the circumstances, and welcome.

I too have had experience with back pain, and I doubt it is the radiation also. I took tiime release morphine (ms contin) and when that didn't do it, there is something called a Fentanyl patch for opiate-resistant pain.

There is no reason to be in pain today. None at all.

Just a caution: make sure that your mother's bowels keep moving, the pain meds can cause things to stall out, which isn't good either.

I hope and pray the chemo/radiation will eliminate/stabilize the cancer in her back near her neck and spine, which is likely the major cause of the pain, in my humble opinion.

It is so difficult to watch those we love in pain. You can however choose to bulldog the doctors and nurses until the pain is under control. It may take some tweaking to get it right. You must love your mother very much, I can sense that from here.

You and your mom are in our prayers. I hope she feels better soon.

MaryAnn

Cecelia,

My mother also experiences tremendous back pain because of metastisis to mostly her back area. She has just completed her 3rd chemo. treatment. She can't have radiation yet because area is too big at this point. It sounds like pain from the cancer. My mother takes MS-Contin (Morphine) every 8 hours and Percocets every 4 hours. Sounds like your mom needs more pain meds-get them for her. Nobody should be in that much pain. I know it's so hard to stand by and watch. I'm sorry you are going through this.

Best to you.

Kim

Cecilia, welcome to the board. Sorry about your mom. My wife had bone mets also, the main one on her upper spine. It was very painful and she has been on morphine ever since, with Norco as a breakthrough medication if she needs it. The radiation actually eased the pain dramatically. We are working to wean her off the morphine and having success with that. Good luck with your mom. Don

Cecilia,

Sorry that you are here under the circumstances.

My husband is not yet receiving radiation, and he too has alot of back pain. I would think that it would be the disease more than the radiation causing the pain. I have read that they use radiation to actually alleviate pain...so I really doubt that is the case.

You have been given some excellent suggestions on pain meds...hope that one of them will help your mother.

Lynne

• 3 weeks later...

Cecila,

My mom had some similar pain and it was the cancer in her spinal cord, apparently it is very common, so have you Mum get to the doctor and get an MRI, because with my Mum it was causing "spinal cord compression" and she was in intense pain.

I hope that helps a little, and I know how hard it is to see your Mum going through this, but this is a great group to be in.,

Hugs